To DVD or not DVD ?

Nyrandia

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
Yesterday I bought a Lenovo 710 4K touch screen. However, I have not opened the box and probably taking it back. I assumed a DVD/Bluray optical drive was automatically equipped on the laptops. Come to find out that is no longer the case. I'm still old school and travel. For my son and I, I like to have the option of watching DVD'S or blurays in areas where there is no internet. A lot of my old videos and photos are on disc as well as personal files I don't file in the mysterious cloud. With that said.

I need a laptop that is at least current i7, 16-32 gig and no slower than a 256 with touch screen for graphic arts and a good graphics card for gaming with my son as well as an optical drive option. The closest I can find with a dual core is Asus but they don't make touch screen so what do I buy? My choice would be an apple MacBook Pro but they don't come with a touch screen either and the price tag is pretty steep. HELLLLLLLLP!

Solution
DVD drives have been disappearing from laptops for the past 3 years or so. The advent of digital media is the primary reason for this occurrence. The best thing to do is to simply buy an external DVD or Blu-Ray drive that will be powered through the USB cable.

It adds, bulk and weight, but it is the easiest solution. Especially if the laptop you purchased has everything you want.

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
Most high-end laptops (including the macbook pro) don't come with an optical drive. Some gaming laptops still do.
The easiest solution is to just use a usb DVD/Blu ray player. A usb DVD player only costs around $25.

DVD drives have been disappearing from laptops for the past 3 years or so. The advent of digital media is the primary reason for this occurrence. The best thing to do is to simply buy an external DVD or Blu-Ray drive that will be powered through the USB cable.

It adds, bulk and weight, but it is the easiest solution. Especially if the laptop you purchased has everything you want.

Solution

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
17 inch gaming laptops still come with it. My new MSI did, but I couldn't have cared less. Over a year ago I switched alot of my anime and movie archive from dvdrom storage to mirrored portable drives and since then I haven't needed my drives. In fact my only use of it that I can remember was when reinstalling windows to my asus laptop after upgrading it to an SSD, it did not support UEFI booting from USB, only dvdrom, so I needed to use a windows 8 iso.