News Today's Wordle answer — solution #245, Saturday, February 19

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 12, 2022
WordleBot is used AFTER you play and gives you insight to help make you a stronger Wordle player. Therefore it does not, can not and will not help you solve the current game.

I understand you are intent in gate keeping Worde (sorry your word was “purist”) but I encourage you to go to the wordlebot website BEFORE you play so you can see for yourself that banner that does in fact tell you to comeback AFTER you play.

Written by the author:
“One other possibility was — you guessed it — GLEAN. This was the word that WordleBot suggested playing second in the ALIEN game, although it gave my choice of CLEAN exactly the same 99 skill rating. That game was fresh enough in my mind that I remembered WordleBot's advice and came this close to playing GLEAN second, but in the end decided to stick with CLEAN.
On the one hand, this was a fine choice again. As it did in game #413, this narrowed down my 51 options to just one, which I found without any hesitation on the third guess.
On the flip side, well, if I'd listened to WordleBot I would have scored a 2/6 here. That'll teach me. “

Tell me again that Wordlebot doesn‘t help….

Aug 8, 2022
Interesting to see how today's game went as we both started with STARE but I managed to fare a little better with #423 4/6. Yes after my initial choice WordleBot confirmed there were 118 solutions remaining (which was an awful lot) , so I decided it was best to forego a very improbable 2/6 and used a throwaway word for my 2nd try of CLOUD. I got rewarded with a yellow L and U which meant there were only 2 possible solutions left, WordleBot awarded me 90 for skill and 84 for luck which I thought was a tad unfair as I had intentionally played strategically. With 4 out of 5 of my letters in yellow I narrowed down the words to RULER and GRUEL but again thought the latter would be quite obscure and maybe not even a solution, so I opted to play RULER and my previous high score for luck evened itself out as I chose the wrong 50/50. So close but no cigar for a 3/6. Still I take some consolation in my overall scores today of skill 96 Vs 80 average, whilst luck 43 Vs 58 average.

Aug 25, 2022
I love your hints and the whole article that you have. I come by everyday and see what I can use to get better. I use the same word STARE and I always like to see what you put instead of me. Keep up the great work!!! (Also on Solution#245 I put CLOCK but didn't realize CLOWN was an option until I put in CLOCK already!!!)

Sep 4, 2022
Todays word "Inter" 9/4/22 is not a prefix. I usually only come here if I am at 4 guesses and think I need help. I read the hint, and look to see if the word has repeated letters. The hint usually helps.

Also, my start words are "Tears" and "Poilu" since that covers all the main vowels. For follow up, I like "nymph" "Munch" and "fudge"

Poilu is a funny word. It is French for "hairy" but is an English word for a World War 1 French soldier. Clearly the word was common enough to be brought into the English lexicon, but fell out of common use.

ShawmK

Prominent
Jun 19, 2022
Today's word (PARER) is a prime example of what is currently wrong with Wordle.

It's an enjoyable game, but it could really use a few tweaks - and one of the most urgent would be removing words like "parer" from the list. It makes no sense that PARER is on the list, but PAGER is not (I checked). CORER is also on the list, bizarrely, so I guess we have that one in our future.

That brings up another weakness in the game: the official solution list consists of 2,309 words, but every day that list gets shorter, since they presumably never repeat themselves. So as of today, the list of possible solutions stands at 1,855, and that (rapidly dwindling) list is very arbitrary.

Why is PUSSY absent (although it has a perfectly wholesome meaning) when HUSSY has been left in (which only ever means one thing)?

Why are PARER and CORER on the list, when PAGER, TINGE, PRIMP and ROMAN are not?

Forget "Hard Mode"; I still want to see a "Strict Mode" that will only accept a guess if it's on the list of possible solutions. That way you don't waste a move on a perfectly legitimate word that has unaccountably been left out by the Wordle Gods.

PLD UK

Prominent
Sep 16, 2022
Re #454 16 Sept 2022:
Don't know what all the fuss is about! (he says sitting pretty with a very lucky 3/6! :) )
I started, as always with STARE which gave a yellow ARE.
Followed up with CARER because I could decide between "-A-ER" or "-ARE-". In fact it turned out to be both!
That left, as far as I could see, 4 options BARER/FARER/PARER/RARER so couldn't fail... Thinking there wouldn't be a triple-R I decided to leave what is probably the most common of the 4 till last, and went with the obscure PARER, which to my surprise turned out to be right!!

Oct 3, 2022
Wordle 471. Sorry, but I think SPITS at line 3 was a poor choice. SPILT at line 2 allowed for completion in 4 attempts. Only worry was that it might have been STIFF, which I note is not give as a possibility although F had not been eliminated previously.

ShawmK

Prominent
Jun 19, 2022
#472:
Like you, I use RAISE as my first word; it has served me well so far. If, like today, it has no greens or yellows, I follow with YOUTH, which lets me play the remaining vowels, plus Y and T (and on one occasion, the solution actually was YOUTH, which was very satisfying).

Today it took me one step more than it should have, because I thought it might be an _OUCH word. Still, I got there in the end.

PLD UK

Prominent
Sep 16, 2022
#476 - Answer VIGOR. That will be a misspelling of the word VIGOUR.
Yes, not for the first time, we who speak (& spell) in proper English are at a disadvantage today compared to our American cousins :mad: ...
Still managed a 5/6, when I'd figured there wasn't anything else left it could be with the letters I had left ...

Reactions: RAISE stays

ShawmK

Prominent
Jun 19, 2022
I was super annoyed today (the 19th of October) because like you, I always start with RAISE. For my second guess I wanted to pick a word with an O or a U, and the first word that popped into my head was QUIRK. I rejected it, because I didn't want to waste a move on a Q this early in the game. Imagine how irritated I felt when the answer turned out to be QUIRK!

I guess the moral is: always trust your instincts!

Nov 7, 2022
Wordle 505. Apparently the best possible starting word here would gave been "slate". You played AUDIO, then EARTH then TEAMS.

At which point wordle bot tells you there are four remaining answers, all of which, we are told, begin STA.

So why is none of them SLATE???

ShawmK

Prominent
Jun 19, 2022
Wordle 505. Apparently the best possible starting word here would gave been "slate". You played AUDIO, then EARTH then TEAMS.

At which point wordle bot tells you there are four remaining answers, all of which, we are told, begin STA.

So why is none of them SLATE???

…Because EARTH had already ruled out a "T" in the fourth position, so by that point in the game, SLATE was no longer a viable option.

Anyone starting with LEAST (one of Wordelbot's recommended words) would also have had a very good day yesterday. I think a lot of people got it on the second guess, and some even got it in one!

Nov 7, 2022
…Because EARTH had already ruled out a "T" in the fourth position, so by that point in the game, SLATE was no longer a viable option.

Anyone starting with LEAST (one of Wordelbot's recommended words) would also have had a very good day yesterday. I think a lot of people got it on the second guess, and some even got it in one!
Doh! Blame lack of sleep! Public humiliation...

Reactions: ShawmK

ShawmK

Prominent
Jun 19, 2022
Doh! Blame lack of sleep! Public humiliation...
We've all made that exact mistake...
I did it myself in this morning's game; I stupidly played GENIE, even though I had already established that the word did not end in "E".
I actually wish the "hard mode" would prevent you from playing a letter in a position you've already ruled out.
Hopefully we'll all be better rested tomorrow!

Nov 7, 2022
We've all made that exact mistake...
I did it myself in this morning's game; I stupidly played GENIE, even though I had already established that the word did not end in "E".
I actually wish the "hard mode" would prevent you from playing a letter in a position you've already ruled out.
Hopefully we'll all be better rested tomorrow!
Oh completely agree! In fact the only reason I switched to playing in hard mode was because it stops me making (some) stupid mistakes!

ShawmK

Prominent
Jun 19, 2022
In today's game I knew the word contained an "A" and "U", so the first word that sprang to mind was QUACK.

According to Wordlebot, everyone else in my position went with VUVLA.

I don't know if that says something about me, or about everyone else....

ShawmK

Prominent
Jun 19, 2022
" I started wondering if Wordle had thrown in an answer I wasn't familiar with. Maybe FLURD was a word? GLURM? PLURK?"

Thank you for that... You just made my morning!

I was feeling a bit glurmy because my Flurd was plurked...