Too many anitvirus and malware programs?

Luna_Bloodrayne

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
About last month, my computer started acting all weird, then it just up and deleted Window's off of it completely. I had to send it back to the company to get rebuilt. But, my question is, is there a such thing as having too many antivirus and malware programs installed on your computer? I had Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, 360 Total Security, and the Window's Security that already came with it installed on it. Would having to many cause the computer or the programs to erase Window's on the hard-drive?

clutchc

Distinguished
Yes. You only want one virus pgm running in the background. And keep it updated. Then run Malwarebytes occasionally to check for malware.
I have Microsoft Securities Essentials for my virus pgm and Malwarebytes for my malware pgm. Many years so far with no issues.

clutchc

Distinguished
+1^
Good point. In fact, that's what I'm doing. Back when you could buy one MWB's license for multiple machines, I put it on all of them. Co-exists with MSE nicely.

For a long time the Premium Lifetime License could go onto 5 machines.

kelix09

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
You should only have one antivirus active to do the real-time scan (free ones are Avast, AVG Free or I think Antivir) but you can use more than one for the occasional full scan.