Toshiba c55-c5241 change CPU and RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikola2016m

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Hello, guys.

I could not find information on internet that is why I am asking for help.
I have the mentioned laptop in the title.
I want to install i7 5850HQ and some 2x8GB DDR3 ram.
Will my laptop support the 47W TDP and the 2x8GB ram?

Thank you!

Solution

your notebook comes with i5-5200U runs at 15 watts , even if you replace with 47w TDP it and it worked , the heatsink on it and the cooling will not be enough and it will over heat .

forget about upgrading the CPU , you dont have the cooler for it.

Then comes the external power supply too , needs to be at least 40 watts more ...

so even if it is possible , it will not run ideal at all.
Here is a site I found listing the type of ram that is usable on that device... http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Toshiba/satellite-c55-c5241

It seems the one you want to use 'may' work.

In regard to the CPU change, 'technically' it is possible to upgrade a laptop processor. However, there are a lot of items to consider and it is not a consumer replaceable item... meaning you void the warranty.

Things to think on, and you will need to know/find out, are the max CPU that your motherboard supports, wether or not you will need a better CPU fan, how much heat the new CPU will put out, etc. Also, what happens if you mess up. (It happens.)

So I would think on those, before making the CPU change.

Samer1970

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014

your notebook comes with i5-5200U runs at 15 watts , even if you replace with 47w TDP it and it worked , the heatsink on it and the cooling will not be enough and it will over heat .

forget about upgrading the CPU , you dont have the cooler for it.

Then comes the external power supply too , needs to be at least 40 watts more ...

so even if it is possible , it will not run ideal at all.

Solution
Not to mention the fact that your current CPU is soldered to the motherboard and the equipment to remove it and solder in a new one would cost more than the laptop, and the CPU you wish to upgrade to uses a completely different socket anyway, rendering the discussion about a new heatsink/cooler and power supply academic in the first place. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.