Toshiba External Hard Drive not Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sameeeee

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
I just updated my Dell latitude 3340 to windows 10. my external hard drive is not detected but I know it's running because it vibrates and the light is on. I tried to plug my hard drive on a different computer and it can be detected. it's usb port is 3.0. and a code error 10 shows up. i tried unistalling the driver but it didn't work. please help

Solution
Welcome to the community, Sameeeee!

You mentioned that you tried uninstalling the USB driver, but have you tried updating it from the computer manufacturer's official website? You should be able to find your model and all the available drivers & utilities that are compatible with your OS version. I'd advise you to give it a try because Windows often uses more generic USB drivers that tend to be a bit outdated.
Another thing you should do while in Device Manager is uninstall & reinstall the external HDD as a device. After a system reboot, it might help you recognize the drive.
I'd also suggest you test the HDD using its brand-specific diagnostic tool. It will help you determine the health and SMART status. If you are unable to...

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to the community, Sameeeee!

You mentioned that you tried uninstalling the USB driver, but have you tried updating it from the computer manufacturer's official website? You should be able to find your model and all the available drivers & utilities that are compatible with your OS version. I'd advise you to give it a try because Windows often uses more generic USB drivers that tend to be a bit outdated.
Another thing you should do while in Device Manager is uninstall & reinstall the external HDD as a device. After a system reboot, it might help you recognize the drive.
I'd also suggest you test the HDD using its brand-specific diagnostic tool. It will help you determine the health and SMART status. If you are unable to find it on the manufacturer's website, you can refer to some third-party tool suggestions from the community.

Good luck & keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.