Toshiba flash card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

c.kozylinx

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
I have a Toshiba laptop. When trying to shutdown in windows 10 I get a message that the Toshiba flash card is preventing it from shutting down. I also get same message when I try to restart. It gives me option to force shutdown or go back and close the application, but I dont know what application its talking about. I've closed everything that was open. Do you know how I can rectify this problem?

CK

Solution
Well you can turn off the app.

1. Go to start and type in "msconfig". (Without the quotes.)
2. Click to open it.
3. Now click on the "Startup" tab.
4. Uncheck the box next to "Toshiba FlashCards" application.
5. Click "OK".
6. Close that window and reboot the computer.

It should not auto load from that point on.
Well you can turn off the app.

1. Go to start and type in "msconfig". (Without the quotes.)
2. Click to open it.
3. Now click on the "Startup" tab.
4. Uncheck the box next to "Toshiba FlashCards" application.
5. Click "OK".
6. Close that window and reboot the computer.

It should not auto load from that point on.

Solution

c.kozylinx

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017

Ok. I'll try it. What happens when this is turned off? Will I be able to use function keys or something?
CK

Michael_265

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

What do you suggest fo those of us who do not have a "Toshiba FlashCards" application listed in the Startup tab?

Michael_265

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

Good point.

On a related note, it may be the case that Windows 10 Version 1709 exposed a compatibility issue with Toshiba laptops. It wouldn't be the first time. Upgrading from version 8.x to Windows 10 exposed a h/w issue (perhaps with the motherboard) on some Toshiba laptops where the DVD drive no longer worked -- only the CD portion.

Finally, I found the answer to my earlier question, "What do you suggest fo those of us who do not have a "Toshiba FlashCards" application listed in the Startup tab?"

If "Toshiba FlashCards" is missing, then look for "Toshiba Function Key Main" and disable it instead.
Source: Microsoft Community Forum
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-error-message-after-update/4eb29570-f48a-4421-87cb-ee57e355b695?auth=1

Happy computing to all.

Best,
Tom Bennett
Senior Software Engineer (retired)

Michael_265

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

I found an even better solution than disabling "Toshiba Function Key Main."

Simply install the newer version (1.1.15.4) at
https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200005658&osId=26

Source: Microsoft Community Forum
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-error-message-after-update/4eb29570-f48a-4421-87cb-ee57e355b695?messageId=f093fcfd-b839-4ae0-9dbf-b5dc4a601b12

Marlin Schwanke

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

Last I checked you could not disable startup items within MSCONFIG on Windows 8, 8.1 or 10. It is now done from within the Task Manager.

no1statistician

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016

Yes this is the solution, just change the laptop model and OS. Thank you!

ing.luis.delmonte

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

ing.luis.delmonte

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
I have the solution without installing anything. Read this article:

https://www.askvg.com/windows-tip-disable-this-app-is-preventing-shutdown-or-restart-screen/

It is magic. A simple tweak.

1. Type regedit in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

3. In right-side pane, right-click on empty area and create a new String AutoEndTasks and set its value to 1

4. That's it. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer to take effect.

Now Windows will automatically end task of all running apps without showing you "This app is preventing..." message on screen whenever you want to sign out, restart or shut down your computer.

If you are worried about editing Registry and want a ready-made Registry script to do the whole task automatically, you can download the Registry script from the "Collection of Registry tweaks" topic mentioned in the beginning of this article.

lmaryg58

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

lmaryg58

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
ing.luis.delmonte..... your fix looks good, but I followed instructions and got as far as "New", but I don't know what to pick from the drop down menu or where to write AutoEnd Tasks

Michael_265

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

Are you sure you want to do that?

I'm not sure -- in most cases -- I want an app I left running to be aborted during shutdown as opposed to an orderly closing of an app like an Excel spreadsheet or a document file for which I forgot to save my work before shutting down my computer.

In other words, I subscribe to the advice to always close all running programs (in the taskbar) myself before turning off my computer.

But that's just me.

Michael B.

blpenman

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017

blpenman

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
I've looked and looked for the Toshiba Flash Cards app. in my computer and I cannnot find it anywhere, not where you say to look and not anywhere. How can it be that if it's no where when I go to shut down it says Toshiba Flash Cards is preventing your computer to shut down? I hit shut down anyway, but am worried this will do damage??? Will it?

Michael_265

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
This gets a little complicated -- because of the different Toshiba models -- so please bear with me.

If you get lost in the different possibilities, tell me which Toshiba model you have and I may be able to simplify this a bit.
(For example, "Satellite L75-A7271" or "Qosmio X875-Q7390.")

As I stated, there are different solutions depending on the model.

SOLUTION A.
For example, the Startup tab in the Task Manager may contain "Toshiba FlashCards." In this case, simply disable it.

SOLUTION B (best).
OTOH, the Startup tab may contain "Toshiba Function Key Main," In this case go to the Toshiba support website and see if a newer version is available. I installed this version (1.1.15.4) and this fixed it for me.
Click on this link and enter your model.
http://

SOLUTION C.
If you don't see anything at the Toshiba support website that looks like an appropriate download for either FlashCards or Function Key Main, then I would suggest you read the solution offered by "ing.luis.delmonte" on December 6th. (You may find it faster by searching for "I have the solution" without the quotes.)

Let us know how it goes.

Michael T.

Status
Not open for further replies.