Solved! Toshiba Keyboard Issues

bb_1617

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Hi, I am having issues with my toshiba laptop keyboard.

The '5' key when pressed is not working, however when the computer is sleeping and then turned back on to use, the number '5' has been typed on its own in the password section of log-on. It is not typing at any other time.

I have scanned my computer for virus' etc and have pulled the key off and cleaned underneath which didn't help.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Solution
If it is showing up later, I wonder if it is delayed reaction.

Try turning off the laptop (off, not hibernate/sleep) and connect an external keyboard. Then turn on the laptop. Does the same key on the external keyboard work fine?

If it does, and you are sure that nothing could have gotten in or on it, nor dropped on it for that matter, then either the key itself will need replacing, there is a loose connection inside or the keyboard will need replacing.

NOTE: If the laptop is under warranty, do not open it up or do any physical work to it without contacting the manufacturer first. So you don't void the warranty.

bb_1617

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

No luck with uninstalling drivers unfortunately :(

bb_1617

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Sorry - didn't help.

I've also taken off the key thinking it may have been stuck but it was fine.

bb_1617

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

No, nothing has been spilled or could have gotten in.
It is the 5 key on the number pad section. All other keys on the keyboard are working fine, just the one key that doesn't let me press it but magically appears on its own :lol:

If it is showing up later, I wonder if it is delayed reaction.

Try turning off the laptop (off, not hibernate/sleep) and connect an external keyboard. Then turn on the laptop. Does the same key on the external keyboard work fine?

If it does, and you are sure that nothing could have gotten in or on it, nor dropped on it for that matter, then either the key itself will need replacing, there is a loose connection inside or the keyboard will need replacing.

NOTE: If the laptop is under warranty, do not open it up or do any physical work to it without contacting the manufacturer first. So you don't void the warranty.

Solution

bb_1617

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Connected the external keyboard, and the key works fine.

I'll look into getting a replacement key!

Thank you for your help :)