Toshiba L75-b7240 Brick?

dstiles14

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Toshiba L75-b7240 with Windows 10 restarted for an update, shut down and now will not start. Power button light comes on, as does the power light on the front; optical drive spins up, but no splash screen or any other indication of life. I think the Win10 update powered it down during a BIOS or firmware update (as strange as that sounds). I've tried disconnecting the battery and power cord and holding down the power button. I've also taken the CMOS battery out and replaced it. I cannot find any BIOS reset points on this model.

Try making sure that it is not connected to, and has no way to connect to, the internet. Unplug Ethernet and/or turn off WiFi and then try turning it on.

Sometimes after Windows 10 updates it will keep trying to access the internet, when something didn't work, and it will just go round and round that way. If that is the issue, making sure there is no internet access when turning it on should resolve it. Then, once working, you can reconnect the internet.

dstiles14

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Good thought; I had that issue on a DOPO tablet, but that's not what's going on here. I should have mentioned that I had already pulled the WiFi card and hard drive. I have also pulled the RAM and tried starting with each stick separately. I even tried starting with no RAM just to see if I got beep or flash codes - nothing. I have also tried plugging in a monitor just in case the display went bad - not even a flicker. I get no signs of life other than the power lights (button and MB/front panel), unless I plug the optical drive back in; then I can hear it spin up.

BTW, I like your profile pic. I worked many years ago with the Duster folks in NM.

Hmm. It could be the graphics card/GPU or the motherboard. However even if it isn't the motherboard itself, in most systems it would need replacing if the GPU goes.

Nice to see someone who knows NM. In all my travels it is usually people thinking I live in another country. LOL Contrary to the medias rhetoric, NM is awesome! I figure it is OK if they keep talking bad about us, just keeps away people we don't need. ;)