Toshiba Laptop has black screen with blinking cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

askanarf

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
My Toshiba Laptop has a black screen with a white cursor blinking in the top left corner of the screen. It goes straight to this screen every time i turn it on. Im running windows 7 premium. Ive tried a windows 7 recovery disc and had no luck. any help would be appreciated

mimi7

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Hi there,

Can you make sure that all the cables are properly connected? Some time when the cable is loose that can happend.
If there are ok then you have to check your graphihcs card.

Hope this help.

[:mimi7]

askanarf

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Everything is fine. nothing is loose or anything

mimi7

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Try to take out the RAM and put it back, but before that discharge the laptop.
Take out the batery and plug out the power connection abd press the power button for about 30 sec.

mimi7

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
This mean that can be something with the graphics card.
can you try to connect the laptopwith external monitor through VGA connection?
If you have computer just unplug the monitor cable and plug it in your laptop, press Fn button and F5 to change the monitors. ( I am not sure which button will be for your laptop but I have Toshiba so presume will be the same, if is not just chek which button is for your laptop).

mimi7

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Sorry to hear that...
The graphics card is gone. Check how much cost to repair it.
I have acer with the same problem, so I repair the graphics card.
Good luck.

itzmedavid

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

I had the same problem... you can atleast get to the settings screen by pressing f2 right? if so got to the boot section and change the order of it.. instead of having HDD be on to put CD/whatever on top... then save and exit.. should boot normal as long as there is not cd in the tray.. worked for me.. my own fix :)

Duker11

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
I had the same issue with toshiba running vista premium. The system repair disc fixed mine in about 45 minutes. Not sure what caused it but I think it may have lost power during updates. I have changed the update settings from auto now.

Status
Not open for further replies.