Solved! Toshiba laptop screen goes black after logging in

Feb 13, 2022
I haven’t used this laptop in 5+ years but there are pictures/videos I have saved that I really want. It turns on fine, brings up the login screen, I login and it takes me to a black screen where my security says it’s expired and asking me to renew which I click cancel. After that all I’m left with is the cursor and sometimes it will have a small white box in the top left corner that says personalization (something). I hold the power button down, take the batter out, hold shift F8 and power and it starts beeping repeatedly but eventually stops and takes me to the windows screen. I tried F12 which took me to a boost menu but I didn’t have a cursor so I couldn’t do anything on that screen. It’s a Toshiba Satellite L505D-95983

Solution
Unless you really want to use the laptop again, your best bet is to remove the drive, attach it to a USB adapter and read the data. This is easily done assuming the drive isn't encrypted (highly unlikely) or the directories have file protections set (again unlikely). You'll have to figure out what type of drive you have and buy the proper adapter.
Unless you really want to use the laptop again, your best bet is to remove the drive, attach it to a USB adapter and read the data. This is easily done assuming the drive isn't encrypted (highly unlikely) or the directories have file protections set (again unlikely). You'll have to figure out what type of drive you have and buy the proper adapter.

Solution