Toshiba laptop usb problem

Slabs76

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
The USB ports (both) on my Toshiba Satellite Pro model C660-15Q disconnect & reconnect intermittently, in a seemingly random manner, i.e. without any discernible pattern.
Sometimes it happens 4 times in quick succession, other days it might happen only once or twice all day.
One of the ports is used for the mouse & it has the same problem, so it does not seem to be device related.
The second port is mostly used for the 3G mobile internet modem.
OS is Windows 7 Service Pack 1.
Thanks.
Johan
Cape Town
South Africa

Slabs76

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
It's on the Balanced (Recommended) Power Plan.
The USB Selective Suspend setting is 'Disabled'.
Besides, it's far too erratic & random to be associated with any power plan.
It happens on both battery or mains power.
Thanks.
Johan

Have you done a BIOS update since you owned the laptop?
I'd suspect software/driver or hardware problems first.
My first guess would be a software or driver issue.

It's probably worth your time to find the Toshiba community forums and search there for any reports or discussion about C660 model USB issues. And make your own post on the chance the issue is familiar with the people who hang out there.

You could try disabling any USB devices you find in Device Manager one at a time and see if you can find a rogue piece of hardware or driver.

If you have a System Restore point far enough back you could test the software/driver theory by doing a roll-back of the OS to that earlier date. But as it's been going on a few months, it's probably not an ideal solution. All it would do was help you pinpoint a software/driver problem vs a hardware problem.

A system restore to factory condition would also help nail down a hardware or software/driver problem.

Slabs76

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Reply:
It has not been exposed to dust or oxides other than 'normal' air pollution.
I haven't tried to shake or otherwise jolt it (which I'd be reluctant to do anyway, for fear of harming the hard drive).
I have however fiddled with the USB plugs to see if perhaps there were iffy connections, with no discernible effect.
Thanks.
Johan

Slabs76

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Reply:
The problem occurred from the outset (from the 1st day of use), so it's pretty unlikely it's caused by some changes to settings or new software. Although of course I did install some software, like MS Office e.g. right away.
I'll try your suggestion to disable all USB devices.
I've gone looking for a BIOS update on the Toshiba Support site & searched for C660-15Q software updates, to no avail. In fact I couldn't find any reference to the C660 model category in respect of software updates at all.
But we shall persevere.
Thanks.
Johan