Toshiba Reveals Word's First Glasses-free 3DTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]and you suckers who bought a 3DTV the first year they came out when you knew something like this was eventually coming couldn't wait for it why?[/citation]

Cuz this is another 2 years away before it becomes affordable.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Warning: May serious eye problems up to and including blindness.

Seriously though, we saw what happened with the 3DS. This can't be good for your eyes. 3D in general in it's current state is a fad that will hopefully die. Until they can produce a true 3D technology (IE, not on a flat screen!) I'll pass.

sgtopmobile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
OH MY GOD 3840 X 2160??!?!?! i am so getting this as soon its released for gaming and hometeather, my family will LOVE IT, i just hope it is released before Q2 2012 AT LEAST

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
finally a TV with a resolution about 1920x1080.....about friggen time. Still no info on how the achieved the glasses free on such a large screen....parallex barrier technology?

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Why on earth did they make it Quad HD?! TV is still only 720p, and HD movies are only 1080p, and any practical use (gaming) would be impossible without a PC and multi-card configurations. And the problem with the glasses-free 3D is that you have to be a certain angle for it to be effective.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cloakster[/nom]Cuz this is another 2 years away before it becomes affordable.[/citation]

ok then so you would still not wait and spend thousands of dollars on a TV plus a few hundred bucks on several pairs of 3D glasses instead of waiting those 2 years when you will not have to buy glasses at all

sir, that's an epic fail right there :)

jujuvivi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
and we don't know about the quality of the 3D,
nor how it works if several persons are watching from different locations...

Really, the next 5 years will be dominated by 3D with glasses,
which is not so bad because there is still little content in 3D,
and many times it's not worth it.

But eventually, we know all display will be 3D, like they went to colors some years ago.

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I agree Captain Charisma! I am still using my old Cyrix 133mhz desktop computer that I had about 12 years ago. I thought about updating when the pentium line came out, but I just knew there were going to be updates, so I saved my cash.

Sure enough, there was a pentium! I wanted to wait until the second revision, but I decided best to hold off until the third. I heard rumors of the pentium 4 though, so I decided I would just hold out for that one. I knew I could make it just a bit longer.

AMD came around with their 64 bit stuff, and I knew that was what I needed! But I didn't want to be an early adopter of the technology, so I figured I would just wait it out a bit longer. I caught wind of Intel's new Core line of processors and knew they would be way better, so that is what I would spend my cash on. I knew the core 2 wouldn't be far behind, so what would another 8 months hurt? I've already been waiting for 10 years to upgrade, I might as well just wait a bit longer.

I was about to place my Core 2 processor purchase, when I heard of this amazing beast called the i7. That is why I would spend my cash on. I waited for the launch to see how things went, and to ensure all the bugs were worked out, and I was ready to order. But once again the rumor mill started turning. Something called sandy bridge. I knew my new PC had to be sandy bridge based, it just had to be!

I went to piece the system together last night, and I decided I really should wait to see how Bulldozer turns out... not like another few months of waiting would hurt...

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
There was a similar story about this on Tom's a couple of months ago, I can almost promise you that the quality will not be very good at all.

3D is a marketing fad that will pass once again just like it has several times before. It's going to be decades (a century) more until there is a practical way to make this affordable and have an good 3D effect.

G

Oh I see this as a major headache inducing contraption.. I have the EVO 3D, and while the 3D is a nice gimmick (the fresnel affect) it's not quite a mature technology and messes with the focus of your eyes too much for my tastes.

This is still a stop-gap measure until we have holodecks, however. ;-)

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Not worlds first glasses free 3D HDTV, the worlds first one was Samsung, and they had piles of them at the Vancouver 2010 games !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

And I was watching them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS