Toshiba Said to Be Launching Glasses-free 3DTV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
If they can pull this off with a good viewing angle and a reasonable price it could be cool. Otherwise I'll continue to sit here waiting for 3d to die...or for someone to create a holodeck.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Husker what's this we shit you don't speak for the masses.

I would love a 3d tv that didn't need shutters, of course it has to be good, and affordable. So I probably be waiting 10 more years.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]Avatar wasn't bad in 3D. What really sucked right afterwards "Alice in Wonderland" in 3D didn't need to be done in 3D. It totally took away what the story is about.Lucky the movie theater at the time gave us a choice of 2D or 3D.Darkk[/citation]

Completely, yeah. Btw my bad, didn't mean to say "was has" meant to say "what has". But anyway, yeah, totally agreed. Alice is all about the story, and that being offered in 3D was, in my opinion, just to attract more people and to give the people who would see it on drugs a crazy trip, which is stupid. The movie was okay to me.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
this was presented at CES and blew the competition out of the water (that required glasses) but the politics of the industry will never let someone come in and compete against their billion dollar investments to look like a dork at home. 3D will only survive w/o glasses.... unlike Blu-Ray which has already been surpassed in Sony, of all people, are in teh works on discontinuing it. Bet the blu-ray forum loves that. B.R. sucks. always has always will. Upconverting for no extra cost, to a 1080p (true or not) is good enough for most people. Plus movies are 10 bucks ON SALE. not 24.99 on sale.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Whats up with all the 3D haters? Its not a fad, its been around since 2002 but required a CRT monitor because LCD's weren't fast enough or bright enough yet. The computer based portion of the tech has been around for ages and is extremely mature. It just wasn't common in home PC's because we didn't have powerful enough GPUs for decent resolution and LCDs were becoming popular but they didn't handle 3D well. More immersible VR has been the holy grail of gaming since the 80's when they released Tron. It only took nearly 30 years for the technology to be mature enough to actually start on it. We're still years away from a real virtual environment, next step will be to replace the keyboard / mouse / controller with some form of virtual interface with tactile feedback.

impy1980

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
But will it work if you're blind in one eye? Coz 3D with glasses is no use to me, also I see is the blurry red and green picture with or without them!!!

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I don't like 3D and won't start liking it because I can take of the glasses (it's a huge plus though). Today only commercial blockbusters are in 3D and games don't take full advantage of 3D technology yet.

Until quality 3D films and native 3D games appear on the market, my intrest in 3D will be about as high as that in Justin Bieber - and that's so far below zero it's hard to express it using a number.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Husker what's this we shit you don't speak for the masses. I would love a 3d tv that didn't need shutters, of course it has to be good, and affordable. So I probably be waiting 10 more years.[/citation]
By "we" I'm talking about people who understand these things. If you are not one of us, then you may ignore my comment. What you are waiting for is a hologram. That, my friend, would be very, very, cool. The physics of light and how our eyes and brain "see" things make a truly good 3D "flat screen device" (like a TV) without the use of glasses virtually impossible. Yes, they will try and they are trying to market this technology to us now, and god bless 'em for trying. But it isn't there and never will be, IMO.

ElectronicGuru

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
3D without glasses is already available to buy. TCL (China) are offering a non-glasses 3D TV at $20,000USD. But it is limited in its 3D effects and I don't mean just on view angles. I will not explain how the shutter glasses work, if your interested look it up but without the glasses don't expect anything too fancy.
For the same 3D effect that the glasses give you, you might as well wait for holographic tv's to be released in 20 or so years.

Status
Not open for further replies.