Toshiba Satellite A-350 - charging light stops 20-30 seconds after switching on

Status
Not open for further replies.

csanjay

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
Hi, I am having problem with laptop - Satellite A350 purchased 4 yrs ago.
The battery charging light turns off 20-30 seconds after switching on.

• 1) recently replaced power adapter twice (first one was counterfeit )
    2) bought new battery twice ( first one was counterfeit)

Issue happens in both linux and windows. Says " 0% available, plugged in - not charging "
First time I had issue (battery that came with laptop at time of purchase): disabled acpi battery and restarted and it fixed the problem.

For the fake adaptor, I had to press the adaptor pin (loose contact) so that the laptop charged.
After replacing battery (replacement was bought from toshiba direct usa), I still have problem.

I have tried the following steps:

1) upgraded my bios from 1.x to 2.3
2) disconnected the power supply, turned off the laptop, removed the battery and pressed the power button for more than 30 seconds and put the battery back in and
restarted the laptop
3) uninstalled the battery driver and reinstalled it (the safe mode still shows the driver)
4) disabled the battery driver and re-enabled it
5) tried cleaning the battery contacts (not sure if I did an effective job)
6) blown air into the place where the cpu is.

Things I have observed:

1) When I plugin the power into the system ( laptop is in off mode) , the orange light - laptop charging indicator comes on for 30 - 40 seconds and then disappears.

2) when I restart the laptop, the orange light - laptop charging indicator comes on for 30 - 40 seconds and then disappears.

3) battery light does not turn on when laptop is running

It says " plugged in, not charging"

1) battery care Program output :

current battery capacity 0%
remaining capacity 0 minutes
battery status full charge
discharge cycles 0/30

designed capacity : 64800 mWh
total capacity : 64800 mWh
current capacity : o mWh
charge /discharge rate : 0 W
Tension (voltage) : 10800 mV
Wear Level : 0.0 %
Total Discharge cycles : 0
last calibration date : no record
calibrations performed : 0

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this.

Note : please be careful in buying Toshiba laptop accessories in India. got cheated by authorized dealer and I do not have a proper response from Toshiba India on this.

Hello csanjay

Since you have already tried all the possible methods to resolve the issue from within the operating system itself and have replaced the battery too, there is only one possibility left. The IC that is responsible for charging the battery and displaying the charging status is faulty and needs to be replaced.

The process takes around 2-3 business days. You can get it done from any local repair shop in your area but before you hand-over your laptop to the repair person, make sure he is well-known to you.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.