Solved! Toshiba Satellite M15-S405 keeps BSOD'ing

yddet12

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
I am trying to fix a friend's laptop that keeps having BSOD's to no avail. I ran Memtest86+ and it didn't find any errors. I ran chkdsk from the CD and it found too many errors to fix, so I tried reinstalling XP. The BSODs continued after the reinstall. I did get some information from the BSOD's. One said
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

and another BSOD (this time occurring when I tried to run the Automated System Recovery function from the XP CD) mentioned kbdhid.sys and ntfs.sys.

When I rebooted into Windows XP (that is, XP from the hard drive), the Microsoft Error Reporting had this to offer:

BCCode: a BCP1: 00000A53 BCP2: 000000FF BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 804ECBC1 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 1_0 Product: 256_1

Another blue screen I got mentioned:

Stop 0x00000024 (0x001902FA, 0xF76F5F48, 0xF76F5C48, 0x80597334)

And last but not least, here are the minidump files:

http://www.4shared.com/file/42DrNLew/Mini041710-01.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/j-gP5JQ6/Mini041710-02.html

Thanks for any help.

Solution
Even though Memtest didn't throw any errors, this is sounding awfully like a memory problem. Also make sure there is enough memory in the PC. If not, upgrade it. I got the BSOD quite frequently when I was running Vista on 2GB. Upgraded to 4GB and solved the problem. If you put the PC under a heavy load and fill up the RAM, and you get this error, the memory needs upgraded.

If there is enough memory, try a different memory module or take one-by-one out if it's dual channel.

If all seems okay, run a hard drive diagnostics "long" test. It will test every sector on the hard drive and attempt to repair bad ones. You can get this software for free from either Seagate or Western Digital.

If all else fails, you may need to start looking...

dustyred14

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Even though Memtest didn't throw any errors, this is sounding awfully like a memory problem. Also make sure there is enough memory in the PC. If not, upgrade it. I got the BSOD quite frequently when I was running Vista on 2GB. Upgraded to 4GB and solved the problem. If you put the PC under a heavy load and fill up the RAM, and you get this error, the memory needs upgraded.

If there is enough memory, try a different memory module or take one-by-one out if it's dual channel.

If all seems okay, run a hard drive diagnostics "long" test. It will test every sector on the hard drive and attempt to repair bad ones. You can get this software for free from either Seagate or Western Digital.

If all else fails, you may need to start looking into motherboard issues. :(

Solution