Toshiba Satellite really slow after clean win 7 install

VibePulse

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
I have my 2y/o Toshiba Satellite L50-B with Intel(R) Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz 2.40 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 M260.
It came with Win8 but I upgraded it to Win10 several months after I bought my laptop.
So, I had win10 since then when I got soo pissed off because some of it's updates.
Final punch was when my avast on win10 got in some kind of conflict or something with updates when it kept failing to respond even after reinstall, got some malwares in all that mess and I went mental coz my laptop became really slow XD
Done clean win7 install from usb (after formatting win10 from win7 setup), took me some time to finish.
Soon after, I created user name and password, logged in and it was really slow, though it's coz of drivers are not installed and it will prolly be back to normal after that and some win7 updates.
I was wrong, 2nd week now, installed all drivers frpm manufacturer's sites, had + 150 updates in total, ran disc cleanup, defragmented drive c (have only c), scanned registry files for errors, checked BIOS version (it's 2.0), set it to default, set my power options to max performance and I'm out of any ideas how else I could try to fix this issue...

Solution
Windows 7 updating process seems to be completely borked now. If I am re-imaging any systems with Windows 7, I have had to ensure that I have the latest updates or the "convenience rollup" slipstreamed into the disk image, so that I don't encounter the laborious update process for an SP1 ver 7601 image.

Convenience Rollup guide

Slipstreaming updates guide.

I've found that during the update process, Windows will struggle, and behave very slowly with 4GB RAM until all the updates are complete and installed. It nearly as if MS are forcing your hand to use W10 instead!

Have you checked to see that your laptop is not running in low power mode or suchlike? Or also if the CPU is overheating, it might be throttling the core...

VibePulse

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Everything became really slow after I installed win7.
Takes about 5 min to load windows and almost a minute for opening files...
I'm using Chrome and sometimes I can't even open Google's search engine, says: "failed to respond" or something because it took too long to load the page.
Updating takes forever, first update on win7 offered me about +60 updates which took me entire night for about half of it!
When I canceled rest of updates I went to turn off my laptop, it began to configure windows for those updates of course, and I went to work.
Got home and laptop was still running, trying to configure those updates! Several hours later it turned itself off.
Same thing when I turned it back on, took about 4 hours to complete rest of that configuration.
Every windows update takes too long to complete, every program I run takes too long to execute and to perform it's task...
Downloaded diagnostic tool from Toshiba and I got "pass" results from every field it scanned.
Disk defragmentation didn't help, same as disc cleanup, really desperate here... T_T

Neur0nauT

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
Windows 7 updating process seems to be completely borked now. If I am re-imaging any systems with Windows 7, I have had to ensure that I have the latest updates or the "convenience rollup" slipstreamed into the disk image, so that I don't encounter the laborious update process for an SP1 ver 7601 image.

Convenience Rollup guide

Slipstreaming updates guide.

I've found that during the update process, Windows will struggle, and behave very slowly with 4GB RAM until all the updates are complete and installed. It nearly as if MS are forcing your hand to use W10 instead!

Have you checked to see that your laptop is not running in low power mode or suchlike? Or also if the CPU is overheating, it might be throttling the core speed. Running CPU-Z will show you what speed your CPU is actually running at. Take notice of the core speed, and if it is lower than expected, then it could be a chipset driver issue, some sort of low power mode, or an overheating issue. Make sure it is actually going into Turbo mode @2.4Ghz when on full load.

As hang-the-9 has stated; If your hard drive is merely a 5400rpm drive, or if it is starting to fail, then this will slow overall performance. You might want to consider purchasing an SSD to replace it, which would help.

I've found that Windows 10 is fairing better with older systems now. With the slight exception of legacy drivers on older models. If you go and download the MS Media Creation Tool, and download the latest Windows 10 Creators Update Edition ISO, pop it onto a USB drive and completely delete/re-create the disk partition to reinstall Windows 10. You'll invariably have less issues than Windows 7.

Good luck!

Solution

Daphne_6

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
I am working on a toshiba satellite laptop for a friend of mine. This computer was doing the same thing after I did a clean install of Windows 7. I highly recommend using Driver Booster. On a computer that is up and running, go to this website and download the driver booster program: http://download.cnet.com/Driver-Booster/3000-18513_4-75992725.html
Once you get the download, DON'T OPEN IT. Instead, plug a USB drive into the computer. Locate your download in the explorer files under downloads. Once you locate driver_booster_setup.exe, Click and drag it over to your USB drive. Once you have it on your usb drive, plug the usb into your Toshiba. Find your usb drive and open it. Find the driver booster on your usb drive and double click it. That should pop up with a box that says run or cancel. Run the program, install it, and then follow the instructions from there. That will find any and all drivers that are missing or out of date. You can update and install the drivers from there. You can also download a disk optimizer that will help optimize your disks to get faster PC startup and higher file access speed on the driver booster program. Just open the action center on the driver booster program and you will see a list of things you can install that will help you. That should help with the speed and make it easier for you to complete the rest of your updates and installs. So far, it has helped me. I hope this helps you.