Toshiba Satellite shuts off after a few sec

Johnjacob0926

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014
Hi everyone,
So I have a Toshiba Satellite p755-s5320 laptop and I've been having problems with it shutting off within a few sec of power on... I thought it was the HD so I pull it out and wiped it and installed a fresh version of Windows 7...i even tested it in another laptop to see if the issue is with the HD but it's not... The issue continued so I replace the motherboard with a new one... Laptop worked fine until I shut it down and when I come to reboot it did the same think and shut off with a few seconds... I don't think it could be the cmos being that it's a new motherboard and I tried another identical Toshiba ac adapter... I have no clue what else to try...

Solution
First take the battery out, make sure the AC adapter is not connected, press the power button like 10 times and on the 11th press and hold it down for around 30 seconds. Let go and connect the AC adapter (leave battery out for now) and try powering it on... see if it stays on after that

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
First take the battery out, make sure the AC adapter is not connected, press the power button like 10 times and on the 11th press and hold it down for around 30 seconds. Let go and connect the AC adapter (leave battery out for now) and try powering it on... see if it stays on after that

Reactions: Delyncher
Solution

Johnjacob0926

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014

wow so that worked...do you mind explaining what happened and why that worked?

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

It drains/discharges all power that might be stored in the laptop (i.e. motherboard, capacitors, etc)... I'm not sure what your issue might have been or why it may have solved the problem, but when users are experiencing power issues it's always best to try the power reset/discharge sequence first

Johnjacob0926

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014

thank you!

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

If you take the battery out and run it with just the AC adapter connected does it still shut off? And is it still under warranty? If so it might be best to just send it in and let them replace everything :pt1cable: