Toshiba Satellite won't power On

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Toshiba Satellite U405D-S2848
Won't turn on, battery appears to be dead, tried to plug it and turn it on without the battery it doesn't do anything either.

What could it be?
I don't have another power connector that would fit. (I got 2 laying around but neither fits this notebook.

This is not my system...
but I'm curious if I could fix it.

Is it possible that the power ON the notebook is damage?
If so, is that separate from the motherboard or is it a separate part that I could replace?

I'm not that familiar with notebooks, the most that I have done is changing basic things like the keyboard, hard disk memory...
thanks in advance for any help.

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hi, its hard to diagnose without seing it, but if you have a Voltmeter ($5 at our local 1$ store) you can check if any voltage is coming out of the charger...

If it is OK then you would want to check to see if the socket the power plug fits into has been broken/bent out of position. This usually means disassembling the laptop (a LONG tedious process, take pictures and label where EVERY screw goes) and finding the Power Jack, you'll be able to see if it has been broken or bent and if so order another one off an Auction site we all know..

If the problem is with the charging circuits on the motherboard I am afraid your choices are pretty limited to replace the bard or a new Laptop...

Fungi

Let me know if you have any questions..

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

OK, I was afraid of that, I guess my only option is to open the notebook and check on your suggestion.
(I don't have a voltmeter, don't even now how it looks like)

I'm just trying to help someone....
But I normally just build Towers .... not very experienced with notebooks.

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Before taking it apart, can you see the pin in the center of the laptop ( not the adapter) power jack socket?
there should be a pin in the center of the jack, if its gone then take apart the laptop and replace the jack.

A good resource for laptop diss assembly is www.laptopscreen.com.

But the problem is probably with the power brick. My Toshiba has a light on it, Does your charger have a green LED when plugged into the wall? But honeslty buying a Digital-MultiMeter (google for some photos) for a couple $ then all you do is set the meter to measure 20 Volts (usually a dial with a 20V setting) touch black probe to the outside of the adapter plug and the red robe to the inside of the plug.
Plug the adapter in and see if you are reading any voltage, test a few times but always keep the black plug on the outside and red inside. If there is no voltage then buy a new adapter. If you read the adapters correct voltage (written on bottom) then you can check the laptop for a broken connection at the plug....

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Thank you for the links!

I don't have a digital multimeter....
I almost disassemble the notebook, but still missing something.
*not quite open yet* this isn't my notebook, so I'm trying to be even more careful.
I will try to get one of this soon to test the power like you suggested.
again.... thank you.

TRENDING THREADS