Toshiba Satellitle won't turn on without cable

HollyLolly383

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
My Toshiba Satellite C50-A-19T has suddenly stopped holding the charge. It only works with cable/charger plugged in.
I have tried the power down by holding down the Power button for 30 secs (then plugging back in & putting the battery back in) which didn't work. I have tried taking the battery out & turning it on only using the cable - that works no problem, the laptop will turn on & work with NO battery in but my concern is that could cause damage somehow. I have also tried it without the battery, turned it on & when it got to the home screen inserted the battery - but the minute the cable is removed the laptop switches off! That also worries me about damage.
Also, the battery indicator light doesn't light up at all but the onscreen states that it is 100% charged.
I run a PowerCfg/batteryreport on Command Prompt & that also states the battery is working etc.
I have a spare battery but when I put that in, the indicator light just flashes amber & won't even turn on (even after 3-5 hours of charging) ....Do I need to charge for longer???
is the issues the cable? Battery? Or more serious, the motherboard???
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Solution
It could be. It is possible it is the charging circuit. But that seems less likely. I would almost think the old battery just no longer holds a full charge so that is why it won't work (and why shows 100%, which is common when a battery loses full charging capabilities.) But then the new battery would have to not be correct. Is the new one after market by any chance? If it is, it may not be the 'exact' same physical size or not connecting correctly.

HollyLolly383

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017

NO, it won't charge at. No light flashing either.
There is power going to the laptop as I have used it without the battery in the back.
The laptop won't turn on at all with the NEW battery, the DC/Battery In light just flashes amber, but won't turn on. But if I turn it on with just the AC adapter & then add the NEW battery, it says that "no battery detected."
But it will turn on with the old battery in. It says the battery is at 100% but if I take the cable out all power is lost & the laptop turns off.
Could the issue be more serious & be an issue with the motherboard?
Or cud I have a faulty battery????? Or cable????

It could be. It is possible it is the charging circuit. But that seems less likely. I would almost think the old battery just no longer holds a full charge so that is why it won't work (and why shows 100%, which is common when a battery loses full charging capabilities.) But then the new battery would have to not be correct. Is the new one after market by any chance? If it is, it may not be the 'exact' same physical size or not connecting correctly.

Solution