Solved! Toshiba Tecra Z40A

tripshot15

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Hi, I am having trouble with the screen of my laptop not turning on. I know it isn't a cpu issue because the laptop will boot up properly with an external monitor attached through hdmi or connected through a docking station and works as expected. However, nothing appears on the laptops screen. When going through the display options, only the hdmi attached screen shows as an option but not the built-in display. This makes me wonder if the laptop is not recognizing the builtin display. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Well, the built in display is not registering with the OS, since you can get into the display properties using an external monitor. The question becomes: Why?

Is there any damage, impact dents or even just minor scuff marks around the hinges or on the back of the monitor housing?

This is not an old laptop, and may still be under warranty. It could be something as simple as a loose connection going to the monitor, but you may need to have a technician check it out. If you got this from say Best Buy for instance, you might be able to get them to check it, but they will likely charge you a fee if you dont have a support contract.

frostedtim

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
Well, the built in display is not registering with the OS, since you can get into the display properties using an external monitor. The question becomes: Why?

Is there any damage, impact dents or even just minor scuff marks around the hinges or on the back of the monitor housing?

This is not an old laptop, and may still be under warranty. It could be something as simple as a loose connection going to the monitor, but you may need to have a technician check it out. If you got this from say Best Buy for instance, you might be able to get them to check it, but they will likely charge you a fee if you dont have a support contract.

Solution

tripshot15

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I can't see anything when I point a light at it so I don't think thats the issue. It's in perfect condition, probably just a connection got loose. It's a work laptop so I'll just have to send it in unfortunately.

frostedtim

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014

Yeah, if its company issued, just have them deal with it. Still backup anything that you will need. If they decide to swap you a different laptop, you will not get anything back. Presumably you will have a network share that you can copy everything to. If you dont know, ask the IT guys.