Toshiba Thrive Hits Preorder Status; Costs $430

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
$429 for the 8GB version? I would rather buy the 16Gb version of the Asus Transformer for $399. I must say it would be nice to have a USB port though.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Slightly higher specs than the dropad, but way more expensive, and performance wise about the same, since there aren't really android apps that tax modern tablets in any way...

G

Tablets suck. Netbooks are better when it comes to anything. Anything!

alyon

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I looked into tablets and netbooks for a while... seriously, netbooks offer so much more for less it is hard to justify a tablet. I have plenty of disposable income sitting around but I just can't justify a tablet. It really does not offer anything a netbook can't do. Also, something about spending that much for a large smartphone (when you already have a smartphone) does not make any sense.

Right now, for me, the best combo seems to be a good netbook for traveling + Desktop for anything home related + a smart phone for true on-the-go activity including GPS. Other acceptable combos are Laptop + smart phone or even just desktop + netbook + normal phone is fine for most people and reduces redundancy.

Tablets seems to have too much overlap with smart phones to be anything other than a way of complicating your life and wasting money for no reason.

G

Asus Eee Transformer + dock is better than this, and comparably priced netbooks.

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Here's a thought: Take a tablet and put a slider keyboard on it. Call it a REALLY BIG cell phone, with no cell phone chip (unless you want 3g/4g connectivity)!! LOL! I'd be all over that if it was priced at $400. You could even have a small slide out keyboard like most smartphones. Just use your thumbs, which IMHO is better than the touch (virtual) keyboards would be.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
@eddieroolz:
It is more expensive because it has Toshiba written on it, just like iPad with Apple on it.
You must not forget the "extra" value of adding several letters combination :)

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Is it just me, or is it more slightly expensive than the other tablets?[/citation]
But you can get one in PINK!!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
This is SO retarded... $100 for extra 16GB... who needs this?! All you need is a small portable HDD and some means to connect it to your device, and that's all! Or a good-size memory card. That's exactly why tablet manufacturers try to avoid having card slots and USB on their devices - that way they can charge ridiculous amounts of money for extra space.

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Hmmm.... Cue for an EU suit against companies refusing to include a memory card slot on their device.

Apple, you're first....

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Is it just me, or is it more slightly expensive than the other tablets?[/citation]
3 words - user replaceable battery.
That is the automatic killer feature that all tablets should have, in fact if you are going to go that way you should have to option of upgradable slide in storage options so you can upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.