Toshiba Thrive Packs Android 3.1, Shipping July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I guess it will be a bit Asus-ish. Far superior to the iPad and lightyears ahead of the mostly mediocre other Android tablets, but only mildly succesful because there's no rotten fruit on it and it actually runs the software you want it to run, even if that's flash.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Far superior to the iPad and lightyears ahead of the mostly mediocre other Android tablets, [/citation]

Ey?
Same price, same size, same sort of processing power, same battery life, more weight, worse aspect ratio (4:3 is better on small displays), most likely no IPS panel....

the only advantage it has is a USB port and better cameras (which is pointless. Nobody needs cameras on a tablet except for video conferencing and most people don't do that)

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Ey?Same price, same size, same sort of processing power, same battery life, more weight, worse aspect ratio (4:3 is better on small displays), most likely no IPS panel....the only advantage it has is a USB port and better cameras (which is pointless. Nobody needs cameras on a tablet except for video conferencing and most people don't do that)[/citation]

- Lower price for similar (often slightly better) hardware performance.
- The Asus Transformer has an IPS and I guess this Toshiba does as well
- Has a USB port.
- Runs an OS that supports Flash and is far superior from a technical point of view.
- Worse aspect ratio remains yet to be seen - a tablet is a media consumption device primarily and a netbook replacement in a pinch. The media part is far better in widescreen.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colorsSize 1280 x 800 pixels, 10.1 inchesiPad 2 specs : 9.7″ LED display with 1024×768 screen resolution at 132ppi[/citation]
Strangely they don't mention IPS in their own spec sheet but alright. Comparable displays then.
http://www.thetoshibatablet.com/pdf/Toshiba_PDF_V3.pdf

Still 20% heavier and slightly smaller battery.

[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]Pretty sure the Nvidia chip stomps the Apple one. [/citation]

Do u have any source for that?
Both have the same CPU (Cortex A9 dual core clocked at 1GHz). Only difference is the GPU and the RAM and if I remember correctly, the Motorola Xoom (also Tegra2) got stomped by the iPad 2 in some graphics benchmarks.

[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]- Lower price for similar (often slightly better) hardware performance.- The Asus Transformer has an IPS and I guess this Toshiba does as well- Has a USB port.- Runs an OS that supports Flash and is far superior from a technical point of view.- Worse aspect ratio remains yet to be seen - a tablet is a media consumption device primarily and a netbook replacement in a pinch. The media part is far better in widescreen.[/citation]

- $20 price difference is insignificant when buying a tablet.
-Flash is nice, but what about purpose made apps? How many honeycomb apps are there in the android market? A tablet is pointless if you don't have good software.
- widescreen only makes a difference when watching a movie or widescreen TV show that actually take advantage of the widescreen format, and I can assure you that you don't want to do that on a 10" display, no matter what the aspect ratio.
For most things you'll do on your tablet (surfing the web, reading documents, email, games) 4:3 is better.
Who cares if there are black bars on a widescreen youtube video or a 20minute sitcom?

j3ff86

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]snip[/citation]You are an idiot. "LED" is not its own display type, it is the backlight. The iPad 2 has an LED backlit IPS LCD.

G

lol at the apple idiots saying 4:3 is the best ratio and you can just watch YouTube and videos with black bars. Just watch the videos full screen and zoom to width on web browser but maybe apple "geniuses" cant think of such complex things. They obviously cant figure out many other things which is why IOS or should that be POS, has to be so locked down that it will only work the way apple sent it off. As one of the idiots may otherwise come across a problem and without a "genius" around to tell them what to do their heads will overheat and suffer a nuclear meltdown.

Wouldn't you be better off with full screen video making a larger image on a 16:9 screen when your talking a 10 inch screen rather then letter boxing the video on a 4:3 screen and making the overall image even smaller on a 10 inch display this way having to shrink the image to fit in your 4:3 screen perfection.

Web browsing is fine on 16:9 displays all you have to do is zoom the screen to match the width and web browsing is great then. With all displays being predominantly 16:9 and therefore most software is written for the screen real estate it provides why would you want a 4:3 screen these days anyway.

valpanig

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]You realize I copied and pasted that right? http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/02/ipad-2-specs/I never said anything about the panel specs, you just assumed I did. Even funnier is how you think I didn't know that LED is just a form of back lighting. I was going more towards the bigger screen and higher resolution part....but okay. Anything else you'd like to assume while we're here?[/citation]
lol PandaBear, you like post so many comments

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]It's because I'm a PandaBear. Panda's are very forum social. Now you know![/citation]

Of course, what else is there to do between bamboo munching and Apple adoration?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Apple is great because Apple says s[/nom]lol at the apple idiots saying 4:3 is the best ratio and you can just watch YouTube and videos with black bars. Just watch the videos full screen and zoom to width on web browser but maybe apple "geniuses" cant think of such complex things. They obviously cant figure out many other things which is why IOS or should that be POS, has to be so locked down that it will only work the way apple sent it off. As one of the idiots may otherwise come across a problem and without a "genius" around to tell them what to do their heads will overheat and suffer a nuclear meltdown.Wouldn't you be better off with full screen video making a larger image on a 16:9 screen when your talking a 10 inch screen rather then letter boxing the video on a 4:3 screen and making the overall image even smaller on a 10 inch display this way having to shrink the image to fit in your 4:3 screen perfection.Web browsing is fine on 16:9 displays all you have to do is zoom the screen to match the width and web browsing is great then. With all displays being predominantly 16:9 and therefore most software is written for the screen real estate it provides why would you want a 4:3 screen these days anyway.[/citation]

the iPad is primarily not a video device. It's a web surfing device.
4:3 allows you to read websites more comfortably both in landscape (more vertical space->less scrolling) and portrait mode (less narrow).
It's also better for documents because ISO / DIN paper sizes are closer to 4:3 than to 16:10.
Another advantage is that it makes reaching the center of the screen with your thumbs easier when holding it landscape mode and it makes the onscreen keyboard bigger when in portrait mode.

16:10 makes a lot of sense on 24" displays, but on 10" displays it's just too narrow.
There is a reason why widescreen monitors didn't become popular back in the days of 15" display diagonals. They only started to make sense once they were big enough to display 2 documents side by side.

G

I like Apple products. I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro. Having said that, I strongly disagree that the iPad is "by far the best tablet out there." Who cares if there are a billion apps? So many of them are similar. I mean, how many weather apps do you need? It's gotten to the point that don't even like accessing the App Store anymore. Not only that, the notification system is the worst. It's obtrusive, you can't read more than one at a time, and you have to close out whatever you're doing just to read it.

I think these new Droid Tablets like the Asus eee Pad Transformer, Toshiba Thrive and Samsung Galaxy 10.1 have really made headway and offer true competition to the iPad. Their hardware is on par if not better. Their OS is open and not restrictive like Apple's. You can add expandable memory to many of them. The list goes one, so there is a lot to like about them. If you're in the market for a tablet, there's no reason why you shouldn't consider one instead of an iPad. I would absolutely purchase one over an iPad and not think twice about it.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Oh my penguin, it's true that Apple makes you stop thinking.
If you think 16:10 is too wide for web browsing and reading documents, then just rotate it.

Seriously, this really can't be that hard to realize.

G

Looks good, although battery life is underwhelming. For a tablet, 10 hours is the sweet spot right now.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]For most things you'll do on your tablet (surfing the web, reading documents, email, games) 4:3 is better?[/citation]

In your opinion. I found browsing, reading, e-mail and games to be quite disingenuous on the iPad 2. 4:3 does not offer a significant difference in screen shape to justify itself. 16:10 on the Motorola Xoom and other tablets allow you to either use the tablet very broadly or lengthily, giving two discernible modes of operation in relation to screen shape. Also, in regards to your statement that 4:3 in general is bigger for smaller screen sizes. What are the vast majority of smartphone aspect ratios, even your beloved Apple iPhone uses a non-4:3 ratio. So I believe the 4:3 ratio argument is very much an invalid one.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I spent weeks researching which tablet to buy and the deciding factor was one thing...apps.[/citation]

Thats why a pad running Win8 with x86 processor could be the thing of the pad future if it even has one...

Status
Not open for further replies.