Toshiba tv: Analog audio extremely low output

angkor

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Hi,

I have a Toshiba flat screen tv (model SL412U_55S41U_OM). I've tried to plug the analog audio out to 2 different powered speaker sets and the output is incredibly low. Even with the speakers at max volume, I can barely hear anything at all.
With this type of tv, the analog out has a fixed volume, so impossible raise it. And I can find no option in the tv's menu to increase it.

If you have a fix to suggest, I'd really appreciate.

boju

Distinguished
Seen another post like yours with similar problem (not solved) it's an very odd problem.

Couldn't find the specific model relating to those numbers you provided for your TV so not sure if the manual link below is correct or not.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/264121/Toshiba-40sl412u.html?page=38#manual

In troubleshooting section of manual mentioning sound problems using an analog connection refers to page 38. In the audio setup / MTS field and select stereo.

My guess is optical digital and analog settings in TV are clashing, so probably your issue is a setting that needs to be changed or disabled. Can't have both digital and analog settings simultaneously it seems, might be confusing the TV's audio processor.

angkor

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Thanks a lot for the info. I went over the manual and troubleshooting solutions again, tried asll the options available from the menu, but still no volume.

angkor

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Yeah, I was starting to think an amp would be the solution. Though I feel stupid shedding more $$$ to buy an amp for already amplified speakers...
I'll wait to see if anyone suggests something else.

angkor

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

The analog out from the tv is rca, which I convert to 3.5 into the speaker set. There's no 3.5 out from the tv.

angkor

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Thanks, will look it up !

angkor

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

I think this might be my solution :
https://www.amazon.ca/Neoteck-Digital-Converter-Optical-Coaxial/dp/B01HRJ9P84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523453398&sr=8-1&keywords=Digital+to+Analog+Converter&dpID=41xeuQJy-VL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

angkor

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Ok, so just reporting that using TV Optical out -> Digital to analog converter -> powered speakers is the option that worked in the end. I now get decent volume.

I'm still baffled as to why the TV's analog audio out should have such low output as to render it useless.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Oct 6, 2018

my toshiba's volume for the analog is geared to the tv's volume, to make it stronger, make the tv's volume louder