Toshiba's "World's Thinnest" Tablet Arrives in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I still have trouble getting around the fact that tablets cost as much as some laptops. I realize that you're swapping power for portability, but it's still a large hurdle to get over for me.

This one is pretty slick, though...

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Fracking morons.

Old processor, old version of OS, and an insanely high price.

Wont sell well and deserves to fail.

And the geniuses in charge wonder why Android tables dont sell well. LOL

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
...which will be upgraded to Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" this spring.

This should have released with ICS. There's honestly no excuse for brand new devices to debut with an old OS.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
only .03 thinner then the Asus Prime @ .33 Whooooopie.........dual core and Honeycomb 3.2 Then there is the price:
Asus Prime 32gig/64 Prime $499.99/$599.99
Toshiba 16gig/32gig $529.99/$599.99
,,,,,, it still a Fail.........!

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Fracking morons.Old processor, old version of OS, and an insanely high price.Wont sell well and deserves to fail.And the geniuses in charge wonder why Android tables dont sell well. LOL[/citation]

Yep, @ the $599 price, this thing should have apples new display 2560x1600 or what ever it is, a Quad Core processor and at least 2gb of ddr and 64gb of internal memory with 2 SD card slots.

I guess this one is off the list.

lassik

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
No point in making things super thin for me, as soon as I added a leather case to my iPad 2, weight and thickness went out the window. It's now much heavier, but at least it's safer.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Yet another over-priced device, and Samsung wonders why their tablet division is not doing well. Too many products, too high a price.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
iPad competition does not have the purchasing power of Apple to keep prices of material down through huge bulk orders. Smaller tablet companies simply cannot add all of the latest and greatest tech into their products without charging an arm and a leg in order to make a profit. So instead these smaller tablet companies use mid level tech and try to make it unique in order to stand out and in this case with Toshiba (World's thinnest tablet). If Apple was a small tablet company the entry level iPad would cost $799 in order to make a profit.

Also Toshiba most likely went with Honeycomb because the licensing is cheaper thus more profit.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Also Toshiba most likely went with Honeycomb because the licensing is cheaper thus more profit.[/citation]
ummm.. correct me if I'm wrong.. but isn't Android free?

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]ummm.. correct me if I'm wrong.. but isn't Android free?[/citation]

Free yes, unless you're one of the companies that bend to the royalties Microsoft is claiming you owe them for using android. Either way, if you count the royalties microsoft collects as "licensing fees" there is not cost difference between chosing which version of android. The reason was probably out of cutting cost for development of the OS. They know Honeycomb well enough, and probably won't update the device to ICS unless they get enough sales to warrant throwing money at workers to develop/optimize it for their tablet.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
How nice of it to be thin and light.

Now give us a tablet that's more damage resistant and has a glass screen that doesn't completely shatter if we accidentally dropped it from our sitting position. And no, I will not buy insurance because it's inconvenient sending it to a repair and waiting for it to be sent back to you.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Unlike you I live in a time that isn't limited, the latest models are paper thin and use no batteries or require any storage.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Free yes, unless you're one of the companies that bend to the royalties Microsoft is claiming you owe them for using android.

Ummm could you clarify this? Why would Microsoft charge royalties to tablet makers for using Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.