Touchpad not working

geo_5_

Commendable
Apr 19, 2017
Hello everyone. Today I opened up my laptop to clean it. Then i reassembled everything and booted the laptop. After some time the touchpad started flickering or let's say it worked for 2 seconds and then it stopped. Then it worked again and stopped. Also some touch buttons (volume, WiFi on/off) at the top of the laptop's bezel started "pressing themselves" (volume was decreasing and increasing on its own and WiFi was automatically switched off) After that it stopped working since then.

Disclaimer : to ensure software failure i formatted the laptop and installed the drivers as i usually do. Still nothing. Under device manager it's not even listed. I opened it up again to ensure any loose connections but it's all connected. Also my motherboard has a little light that it's white when the touchpad is enabled and red when it's disabled. At this point it's white and nothing happens when i hit the disable / enable button. Also the click buttons on the motherboard do not work ( i tried pushing them while laptop was opened up but no reaction. )

Any suggestions would be welcome. I considered replacing the whole bezel / touchpad ( as in HP models it's one piece ) but i think the problem comes from the motherboard?! (Wondering )

HP pavilion dv7 2230ev
Windows 7 64

Solution
You can't fix a motherboard through software. And even fixing it can be a daunting task if you are not very experienced. It would be simpler to replace it. However, I still don't see how it would be the motherboard.
If this happened right after you opened up, I would say that is where your problem lies. Not software or drivers.

Something either got knocked loose or even disconnected and is causing your issue. And, even though you cleaned out the dust, it is also possible a piece of dust or debris got lodged somewhere it shouldn't be.

geo_5_

Commendable
Apr 19, 2017
Everything is in place. I opened up again to check. It's weird that the buttons on the motherboard are not working. I mean they are on the motherboard you cant say that there is a loose connection between them and the motherboard because they are attached.

geo_5_

Commendable
Apr 19, 2017
Yes they are but when i go to mouse settings i get a message saying that it can't connect to the device and prompts me to whether uninstall or keep the synaptics driver. Is there a way to fix the mobo at this point ?

TRENDING THREADS