Solved! Touchpad works only when a key is pressed on the keyboard - Dell XPS L501X

packtt

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
Hey Guys,

So I have the XPS L501X running Windows 7.
I replaced my HDD , Checked RAM and CPU to make sure they are running okay.

The Symptoms :
> Mouse Delay is ALWAYS constant but works smoothly when "ANY ONE" Key is pressed on the keyboard (How?)
> Primary and Secondary Clicks on the touchpad randomly stop/start working.
> Keyboard/Touchpad randomly working not working.

What have I tried?
> Re-installed(FRESH) Windows and replaced internal HDD.
> Checked Driver's \ Checked Sensitivity etc

Any help would be appreciated please! It's a wonderful piece of hardware , working just fine except for this issue which makes it really hard to use the laptop.

Cheers!

Solution
Try connecting an external mouse and see if that works fine. If yes, then I would look at the physical touch pad. Is there anything stuck in it? Debris, dust, food, etc? If so clean it out and see if it will work better. If nothing there, then try updating the drivers. If neither helps, you may well have to replace the keyboard and/or touchpad.

NOTE: If the device is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer before doing any physical work on it.
Try connecting an external mouse and see if that works fine. If yes, then I would look at the physical touch pad. Is there anything stuck in it? Debris, dust, food, etc? If so clean it out and see if it will work better. If nothing there, then try updating the drivers. If neither helps, you may well have to replace the keyboard and/or touchpad.

NOTE: If the device is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer before doing any physical work on it.

Solution