Tracking a Laptop via serial #?

appuser23

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I order a new laptop and Fedex left the box outside of my apartment unit yesterday and it was taken! I guess this was not a signature required delivery.

The only 'good news' is my next door neighbor said she saw one of our upstairs neighbors walking down our floor with a box approximately the same size on the same day. Also she mentioned he looked at her awkwardly. It wouldn't make sense for him to walk on our floor with a delivery box because he doesn't have to use our floor for anything. It would be out of his way to get to his unit or garage or mail. I haven't talked to him yet but was wondering if it's possible to tracking the computer's serial number if he/someone connects online? Would the retailer or Asus be able to see where the computer connects to the internet?

I know it's still a speculation but I think he took it because you can see my front door right before you enter the garage...

No you cannot. You need to confront the person though if you suspect he stole your laptop. This will be a delicate situation though because he does not have to cooperate with you. For example, if you knock on his door, he opens it, you notice what seems to be a new laptop within plain site and you ask if you can check out the serial number, he came simply state you are invading his privacy and slam the door in your face.

I would file a complaint to Fedex because an expensive merchandise was simply left sitting on the floor waiting to be stolen. Report the incident to the retailer you purchased the laptop as well. And finally don't forget to report it to your credit card issuer.

I will also add that from now on when you are getting something shipped to you should consider one of the following:

1. Specifically call the shipper and inform them the delivery person should not leave any package on the floor. If you are not home, then they will need to re-deliver.

2. Have the package delivered to your office if it is not an issue with company policy.

3. Ask the shipper to hold the package at the depot so that you can personally pick it up. However, this can vary from slightly inconvenient to very inconvenient.

4. If a neighbor you trust can accept a package for you then inform the shipper about this alternative.

appuser23

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Thanks! Really good advice. So even if he updates Windows, there's no way of tracking the serial? Microsoft wouldn't be able to? Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant on this subject.

I'm thinking about approaching him this way. Knock on his door and say that my neighbor told me that he was kindly holding my package for me. Pay innocent instead of confronting him. I reported to FedEx already but did not tell them I suspected my upstairs neighbor. I was afraid they might push it back as my responsibility to retrieve it.

Also, don't forget to file a police report. It might be a requirement for the credit card issuer.

The serial number is usually on a sticker on the underside of the laptop. It is not part of the operating system or anything inside the laptop.

Just tell FedEx it was stolen and it was due to the delivery person's negligence for leaving a package in plain site for anyone to walkaway with it. It doesn't matter if the contents of the package is worth $1 or $10,000. It is pure negligence.