Tracking Stolen MacBook?

Mcseven

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Does anyone know if a stolen Mac laptop can be traced/followed i have serial number, unique MAC IP and software serial number...Need some help it is my Daughter's stolen from University Library.

D

Deleted member 217926

Not unless you have special tracking software such as lojack installed. Other than that all you can do is file a police report.

If you do not have tracking software installed on the MacBook, then the only thing you / your daughter can do is file a police report.

You could also contact Apple and provide them with the Macbook's serial number in the event the person who stole it should try to get it serviced in the future.

I recommend spending money on software like LoJack. It's not really that expensive and at least provides some peace of mind since it can improve your chances of locating a stolen laptop.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
There is a "Find my Mac" feature included in 10.7 Lion (iCloud) that allows you to do that unless the thief wiped the hard drive.

It's not activated by default though and you or your daughter would probably know about it, if either of you had activated it.