Tried to reset laptop, and now it won't work.

commanderhoek37

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
So, I got a new laptop, and wanted to give my old one to a friend. I tried to reset it (the old one), but it said the reset had failed, and now when I try to boot it up, it shows the logo for a few seconds, then a blank black screen for a few seconds, the screen turns off (but the LED that signifies power stays on), and in a few more seconds, it does it again. I've tried holding the power button, but it just does the same.

In case it helps, the laptop is an HP Stream.

marksavio

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
somehow. the builtin factory reset did not work perfectly. you can do the following to fix the issue.

if your PC loads to the windows loading logo, try spamming shift+f10 until a command console pops up.
type the following :
* chkdsk /f c:
* bootrec /fixmbr
* bootrec /fixboot
* bootrec /rebuildbcd
* shutdown /r

commanderhoek37

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

Tried shift-f10 when the logo comes up a few times, but it won't do anything

marksavio

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
what version of windows is installed on your laptop? was it originally a windows 7/8 and upgraded to win10?
have you tried spamming F8 during boot time and select safemode/recovery mode.

commanderhoek37

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

I bought it new with Win 10, and I have indeed tried F8. And Shift+F8. F8, on that cpu, controls volume, so I don't think it'd do it. But, if you meant Shift+F8, that just doesn't seem to do anything. I may have to take it into my local Source.

marksavio

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
the F8 button doesnt work for win10. only for win7/8. thats the reason i asked.
the shift+F10 should normally work when you see the windows logo loading.

you can also check your BIOS first. go to your BOOT menu. disable Secure boot. enable CSM. save & reset. try to check if it boots your windows properly. try the shift+f10 again as well.

if that doesnt work then there is no choice but to do the following below :

you will need to get a Win10 installer to help you repair it. you can go to the site below and follow instructions there. prepare a usb drive (at least 8GB) or write into a DVD with the ISO file.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

once you have it. boot your pc. press F8 (or F2/DEL to BIOS and go to boot menu). and select the usb/dvd to load from. select Repair. troubleshoot. command prompt.
* type "sfc /scannow". restart.
* if not fixed. try startup repair.
* if still not fixed. try system restore.

if it still fails. you will have to do a fresh install of windows. if you want to backup your data first, remove your hard disk. attach your HDD to a SATA cable of another computer or a SATA to USB adapter. and copy your files there. reattach your HDD back to your computer. boot from your windows installer. and do a fresh install of windows. delete all partitions. format. install.

commanderhoek37

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

commanderhoek37

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

Still doesn't do anything, and the HDD on this PC is not removable.