Trojan R "quarantined" by AVG free...am still in danger?

PatrickPowers

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi,

So, yesterday I was talking with a production company on the phone, went to their site to find a map to their location and a pop up told me the font on the sit couldn't display and to download a driver update....if I hadn't been distracted by the call I think I would have recognized the fishiness here....but, I hit "download"--

Next thing I know my AVG free software pops up and says it caught a Trojan R virus (I don't have the exact name, unfortunately because--well, you'll see). Everything seemed fine, AVG turned green and said the threat was sent to the "Virus Vault."

Well...I have heard of ransom ware (which is what the "R" stood for, apparently) and its bad stuff. So I didn't want it just sitting in my vault....I went in and emptied the vault, destroying the enemy, I hope.

However, today I came back from lunch and saw an error message from "cleanmgr.exe" It said something about being unable to locate a file.....I know I should have screenshotted it....I didn't think of it at the time.

So....my question is twofold

1) Does AVG's "virus vault" actually work well? Do you think the virus was completely caught? Was it overkill to delete it from the vault?

2) Do you think this "cleanmgr.exe" error was part of the virus' infiltration?

Thanks for any help....right now I'm grateful that everything else seems to be operating without an issue....

- Chris

dudio

Admirable
Some info on that error:

"cleanmgr.exe - Application error
The instruction at "0x????????" reference memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be read.
The causes of the error message and possible solutions:
Faulty program code. Signal the error to the application's developer, and try installing a newer version.
It's possible that there isn't enough memory available for the application. Free up memory be temporarily stopping some applications or services.
It's possible that a hardware component of your computer is malfunctioning. Have the hardware components of your computer checked, with special attention to the RAM modules."

Also, look at this: http://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/instruction-at-referenced-memory-could-not-be-read/

PatrickPowers

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015

So is it possible that when I deleted the Trojan it took away something that my computer is now searching for? The error doesn't seem to be doing any harm....I just close the dialog box and move on....