Trouble getting sound from home theatre system with my new tv - help appreciated!

soulsteppin87

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
TV: Sony Bravia KDL-60EX645

Home Theatre System:RCA RT2906

Background Information

-This HTS was connected to an older model Sony Bravia via RCA, and at one time HDMI, producing successful results.

-With my NEW TV, I've tried connecting it with both the analog (RCA) inputs and the HDMI input with no sound coming from the television.

-I've set the television, per the manual's instruction, to "Audio System" and "Audio Out: Fixed." This should allow the TV to turn off its internal speakers and switch to an external audio source.

-I've set the HTS to "TV: Analog" and "TV: HD 1" respectively.

-The Test Tone on the HTS produces sound, proving the speakers are working and connected correctly

Solution
You want to route the sound from the TV to the HTS?

To do that with HDMI you need to first make sure the TV can output audio Passthrough to HDMI. Not all TVs do. Judging by the manual, setting the audio to "Audio System" disables the speakers on the TV, and "Audio Out: Fixed" disables volume control on the TV.

I believe what is happening is that your TV does not output audio through HDMI, it can only receive. You should be able to use RCA/Optical without problems, though.

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
You want to route the sound from the TV to the HTS?

To do that with HDMI you need to first make sure the TV can output audio Passthrough to HDMI. Not all TVs do. Judging by the manual, setting the audio to "Audio System" disables the speakers on the TV, and "Audio Out: Fixed" disables volume control on the TV.

I believe what is happening is that your TV does not output audio through HDMI, it can only receive. You should be able to use RCA/Optical without problems, though.

Solution

soulsteppin87

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

So there's a chance my home theatre system is not compatible with my television?

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Yes, that was my first suggestion. In the event that you cannot transfer audio via HDMI, you can always use the other audio interfaces (optical, analog).

It's not relly that your TV and AVR are not compatible, it is more like one of them does not support ARC.

Anyway, an optical cable should solve the issue.

soulsteppin87

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

Ah, sorry I worded that so awkwardly. I also didn't catch the "optical" in your first reply!

It works nicely. Thanks for your help!