Trouble trying to connect laptot to 144hz monitor with hdmi to displayport converter adapter.

Jul 24, 2018
Hi, I am having a problem trying to connect my laptop to a 144hz monitor. The laptop I am trying to use is the dell 7577 and the monitor im using is the Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27.0" Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC. As you can see my laptop doesn’t have a mini display port entrance and neither a dp entrance, so i bought a gofanco 4k x 2k hdmi to displayport converter adapter with usb. I connected it to my monitor and it does display the image of my laptop on the monitor, but in the nvidia control panel it doesn’t detect 2 different monitors and I can’t go over 60hz.

Solution
G-Sync monitors don't support scaling over DisplayPort, so all image scaling will be done by the GPU. That means even if you set the resolution to 1080p, it will be upscaled to 1440p by the GPU before it is sent to the monitor, the transmitted image is still 1440p, and so you will still be limited to the maximum refresh rate the adapter can handle at 1440p, which is 60 Hz.
Did you make sure you have the latest drivers installed? That can make difference in such a situation.

Should that not fix it, but as you stated the monitor is working, it may not be possible to have the external monitor use the other graphics card. I would try testing it with a different monitor or two and see if you get the same problem. Note, also make sure the monitors connect differently. Without an adapter and see if it works that way. It is possible the problem lies in the adapter, or even that the computer will not allow those graphics to be used by an external monitor.

But start with the drivers. :)

Jul 24, 2018
I checked al the drivers and and i also tried connecting the laptop to a different monitor, of course i dont have another 144hz monitor but the laptop connected with no problems. Also i tried with an hdmi and it worked, but i cant get 144hz with an hdmi cable

While newer revisions of HDMI are capable of 120 Hz and 144 Hz, the vast majority of equipment still assumes HDMI will only be transmitting 60 Hz signals (120 Hz is typically reserved for 3D). Unless the adapter you bought specifically stated it supports 144 Hz, I would be skeptical that this would work.

In fact the Amazon listing for what I assume is your adapter says it will only support 1080p @ 120 Hz. In addition, it only supports 4k @ 30 Hz, which corresponds to HDMI 1.4. That makes me suspect it can only hit 120 Hz with a 3D 1080p signal. Otherwise you can only expect 60 Hz out of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-DisplayPort-Converter-Compliant-Dual-Mode/dp/B01BXMOREI

Jul 24, 2018
Yeah, i dont have a problem with 120hz but it doesn’t go over 60hz and i tried lowering the resolution to 1080p but it doesn’t do anything, while in another monitor I lowered the resolution and it gave me 75hz beacuse that is what the monitor can handle but at least it increased the hz while my 144hz monitor does not.

Jul 24, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nicobrs381 : "Laptop won't display 120hz on a 144hz monitor"

Yeah, i tried and everytime i go past 60hz on any resolution it says "Out of range". I also updated all my drivers, including the monitor

Glenwing

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015
G-Sync monitors don't support scaling over DisplayPort, so all image scaling will be done by the GPU. That means even if you set the resolution to 1080p, it will be upscaled to 1440p by the GPU before it is sent to the monitor, the transmitted image is still 1440p, and so you will still be limited to the maximum refresh rate the adapter can handle at 1440p, which is 60 Hz.

Solution