Trouble using AV Receiver between a laptop and an external monitor

Ohas

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
Problems

I am unable to successfully send output of my laptop to my external monitor through the AVR.

When I turn on my laptop, it doesn't detect the AVR unless I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in.

The framerate of my laptop screen appears to have reduced since I attached it to the AVR.

Details

I bought a Pioneer VSX-924 AV receiver to have surround for my laptop. I also have an Acer monitor which used to be directly connected to the NVIDIA HDMI output of my laptop. Since I bought the AVR, I connected HDMI output of the laptop to HDMI input of the receiver and HDMI output of the receiver to the monitor.

So the connection which used to be Laptop -> Monitor is now Laptop -> AV Receiver -> Monitor.

As long as I keep the Acer monitor turned off (no AV Receiver -> Monitor connection), my laptop lists the AV Receiver as an audio output device and I can play sounds through the speakers connected to my AVR.

However, as soon as I turn on the Acer monitor thereby leading the AVR to send its HDMI output to the monitor's HDMI input, all hell breaks loose:

The monitor screens starts to constantly flicker for a few seconds and then turns off saying that it does not have an input signal.

My laptop no longer lists the AVR as an audio output device, so I can't play the sounds from my computer through the speakers connected to the AVR.

To fix this, I have to turn off the external monitor (or disconnect it from the receiver by unplugging its HDMI cable), unplug HDMI out from my laptop and plug it back in. Then I can send sound of my PC to the speakers but I still can't use the external monitor.

Another issue is that since I connected the laptop to the AVR, I have been noticing a reduced refresh rate of the laptop screen.

Any help with any of these issues would be great. I have no prior experience with AV receivers. I am loving the sound that I am now able to experience but unfortunately, it comes with all these annoyances on the side.

Solution
Try setting the HDMI out as a second display. Set the resolution of that to the native resolution of the monitor (may be different that the laptop display).
Since your laptop isn't detecting the AVR/Monitor try a different order of power up. If the AVR is on before your boot the laptop try reversing that. I have a laptop and projector that won't work unless I boot the laptop with the projector already on that input. Unlike USB HDMI doesn't constantly detect a connection, may only do it when an input is switched or the unit is powered up.

serialkiller

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
This should not happen.

Check the cable that you use , it may be faulty .

Check if all the drivers and updates are install .

Roll back graphics drivers to see if it is fixed.

Use different monitor and see the results.

Ohas

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
I am certain that both HDMI cables (Laptop -> AVR and AVR -> Monitor) are functional. I know this because if I use either one of these cables to directly connect the laptop to the monitor, I don't experience any problems.

I can run the other checks you suggested later today. If none of that works, maybe I should try returning the receiver to the shop where I bought it.

Try setting the HDMI out as a second display. Set the resolution of that to the native resolution of the monitor (may be different that the laptop display).
Since your laptop isn't detecting the AVR/Monitor try a different order of power up. If the AVR is on before your boot the laptop try reversing that. I have a laptop and projector that won't work unless I boot the laptop with the projector already on that input. Unlike USB HDMI doesn't constantly detect a connection, may only do it when an input is switched or the unit is powered up.

Solution