TROUBLESHOOTING: Laptop USB ports do not work

Ikejames

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014
This is my first post, so thanks for any help you can give me. I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4254 laptop with Windows Media Center Edition. The USB ports have not been functioning. No power through them. And devices plugged in have not been even recognized. Effectively, they've been dead. I did a fresh install of WMCE and nothing changed.

I started to do some troubleshooting. First I came across a possible solution that dealt with changing a registry value that turned off the USB power selective suspend. There was no change. However, while testing this I realized something. If I had a USB flash drive plugged in when the laptop went to sleep, it would be recognized once awakened. Progress! At the very least, I had identified a workaround if I wanted to use a USB flashdrive.

So I've managed to establish that the USB ports work, They just aren't behaving properly. Furthermore, USB wired mice do not work regardless of what I try. If I try a wireless mouse using the sleep/awaken method, the device recognition / driver installation failed. So I'm stuck there.

Am I missing something? Are there avenues I can explore that may get me full functionality back? Or am I looking at USB hardware that is at the end of its life? Thanks very much for any help at all!

Ikejames

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014

Thanks for the post Iceblitzed. Unfortunately, that FixIt doesn't apply to Windows MCE.

I navigated to http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/windows_usb_diagnostics
and ran that fix it. I had a wired mouse plugged in at the time. The mouse's laser was on, showing that it had power, but it wasn't controlling the pointer at all.

I ran the Fix It and no solutions were offered. It said everything was working correctly.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

mps26

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
Have you tried to look for a new or opdated driver on the internet?
Or deactive and thurned off and on the computer?
You can try recover the pc back to an earlier state when the usb drivers worked? Without loosing your data?