Trying to enhace battery life in my Macbook Pro

SingularityXD

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015
Hi guys how are you? Ok Im here because I have a Mid 2012 Macbook pro 15 inches, is a good laptop really, pretty fast but now Im having a new kind of problem: As you know those Macs are equipped with two GPU the discrete gt650 and the integrated Intel HD3000, the problem appears when I use the Mac with windows 10, as I am a developer some times I need microsoft visual studio and other tools, and my best option is run native windows.... So, using windows the apple bios locks the intel VGA allowing only the gt650, when I use the laptop with battery, it drains a lot faster all my charge!!! I have arround 2 hs full charge.... when I use OSX I have like 6 or 7hs..... my question is: can I use some tool to 'underclock' my gt650? it seems to be running at full 450 mhz all the time, for working I think I dont need that graphics power, so saving power would be a lot more wise.... what do you think? And also windows provoke heat in the bottom of the laptop.... it seems the GPU drains and convert all the power into heat!!! :(

Solution
Windows always smashed the battery on my MBP. OSX has a gfx card switching app which I use sometimes, your best option is to find something like that for W10. Under clocking will be highly unlikely.
A fan speed controller will help keep things cool.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Windows always smashed the battery on my MBP. OSX has a gfx card switching app which I use sometimes, your best option is to find something like that for W10. Under clocking will be highly unlikely.
A fan speed controller will help keep things cool.

Solution