Trying to get a handle on her required RAM/VRAM.

Trrkk

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
My wife needs a new laptop. She doesn't play games, but she is by no means an average user.

At any given time, she might have anywhere between 20 to 60+ Firefox tabs opened, anywhere from 2 to 10 being video streams (and at least a couple will be HD streams) from different sites that she might decide to switch to at any moment.

She somehow memorizes the location of all of these tabs and scrolls through them all the time. She doesn't use, doesn't want to use bookmarks and would rather pay additionally for heftier hardware that lets her do that (it's a discussion I've given up on).

In the background, the usual antivirus / system protection, as well as two or three-ish P2P music services like Spotify. A Blu-ray/DVD video player may be on whenever she needs one, but that usually happens only on trips. She may open an office program or two sometimes. She doesn't do any video editing, image editing or compiling or whatever.

What sort of RAM and VRAM requirements does a user like that have? I use my computers very differently than she does and I have a hard time visualizing it. Could use some advice.

Solution
8 GB RAM minimum though I'd lean more towards 16 GB if you can swing it. More is better every tab she has open is sucking up a little bit of RAM. Don't worry about VRAM if she isn't playing games.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
8 GB RAM minimum though I'd lean more towards 16 GB if you can swing it. More is better every tab she has open is sucking up a little bit of RAM. Don't worry about VRAM if she isn't playing games.

Solution

Trrkk

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Thanks everyone. 8 GB does indeed not sound like enough. It's also what she has now and I think she trumps me easily on RAM usage. Also good to know I don't have to worry about VRAM.