Solved! Tasked with buying 'cheap' Windows laptop for non-techie friend. Help!

Aug 25, 2019
I am finding this very difficult, as friend is totally non-techie, much more so than I realised(to the extent that she doesn't use email, doesn't know what an operating system is, doesn't know that Chromebooks are different to Windows laptops, etc) and is very reluctant to spend more than £300, even though she can afford it.

She previously had an old Chromebook, so she can't understand why I am struggling to find a decent Windows laptop for her daughter's needs at such low price.
Daughter's schoolwork requires her to be able to use Microsoft OneDrive and Office 365, so I don't personally think a new Chromebook would be a good idea. We basically need :
a Windows laptop with a decent screen for streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime etc, that is suitable for school work-essays, written documents and the usual web-surfing. No requirement for gaming or video editing or anything like that.

The Acer Swift 1 seems to be a frequently recommended one here in UK and she has seen one for £349, which is outside her price range, but they want it purely because it's pink! Now, I know we can get better specs for the same money or less elsewhere, but trying to explain WHY she needs them is like talking to a brick wall! So, my question is, would this laptop cope with what she needs to do with these specs?

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel® Celeron® N4000 processor Dual-core 1.10 GHz
35.6 cm (14") Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 IPS
4 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
64 GB Flash Memory
Intel® UHD Graphics 600 Shared Memory

Personally I wouldn't buy it as I'm sure for that money we could get something better, but if it will cope, then at least I can say "yeah, you can have it if you MUST have a pink one".

Aug 25, 2019
I wold not get a laptop with such a low amount of drive space, on slower and less reliable memory type, and that CPU.

I would get this for 350, faster CPU, more storage, faster and more reliable storage, and that is a nice looking shade of pink :)

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...sd-pink-10193274-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Thanks for replying! did see the laptop in your link a couple of nights ago-it was actually £299 then and my friend agreed to get it-but it's 'collection ony' & when I tried to check out it appears there is no stock in any of the shops I could collect from. I wouldn't be surprised if it is out of stock in every branch of Curry's as I tried four different areas of the UK (where I have friends or relatives who could collect it for me ) with no luck. A shame as it's much better value for money than the other one. We need to get one in the next week as school will be starting back and her daughter will need it-)Hopefully I can persuade my friend to see sense and let me get her something that's not pink!