TSA Finds "Stolen" Laptop in TSA Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
LoL. My last encounter with the TSA almost left me stuck in Puerto Rico where they can't read drivers licenses. I had to convince the guy my license wasn't expired cause he read the ISS (issued) as EXP or expires and didn't believe me at first when I said my license was totally valid. Which almost resulted in an Airport Terminal freak out.

G

TSA is almost totally useless - they are rude, inefficient and slow, at least that is my experiences with them at LAX.
I think every European country has better Airport Staff+Security than the US.

G

TSA is a damn joke. They're being run by rude people. if you pussy out, they treat u like shit. but when u stand against them, they backed out mad fast. Especially when u ask to see the highest guy in the airport, make sure you SAY IT OUT LOUD, if they dare to touch you, take a picture with ur phone's camera and u can sue their ass.

random_2

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Ummmmm Jane....If you're going to write syndicated articles for the World Wide Web, maybe you could take into consideration that readers from countries other than your own may not know what the abbreviations in the article mean. Had to Google TSA to find out what the hell you were talking about. lol

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
From now on, when I hear that x number of laptops have been stolen, I'm not going to be so worried as I once was. They probably just left x amount of laptops in a warehouse somewhere exactly where they should be.

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
So they basically have the same info/data on a server. Why does the laptop have to have a copy again?

Should it really be necessary to have a copy on the laptop, why not add another layer of security (aside from the usual-but-rarely followed ones)? Remove all unique info/data from the copy on the laptop and replace them w/ one identifiable data/key/ID that can be tied to specific info/data on the server? If all they need are names, just store the names plus an, ID for each name, on the laptop. For added security, the ID on the laptop is not the same as that stored on the main database but is different and is stored on a separate database that stores a combination of ID from both the laptop and the server. This way, even the ID on the laptop can not be used against the main database. Another benefit of this is that each laptop can isolated, and should it be compromised, the database containing the IDs from both laptop and main database can just be cleared (archived and removed from normal access). Ofcourse, it'll be more effective the less unique info stored on the laptop.

I'm no security expert but at least its better than having a complete record on a laptop.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Wow. This is pretty ironic and funny. You know its not very hard to encrypt a laptop! Or just run command line Linux :lol: .Most of the average Joe hackers don't know hard core Linux.

G

ya and most TSA agent dont know hard core linux either let alone basic linux

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
This one perplexes me: "Most of the average Joe hackers don't know hard core Linux."

Script kiddies aside, I think most Joe hackers do know 'hard core' linux. Of course, they were all at BlackHat in Las Vegas until today. :) Sorry I went off-topic there.

Status
Not open for further replies.