Solved! Turning off touch pad device in win 7 OS

Solution
Good chance that Win7 is using a generic mouse driver. So installing the correct Dell driver should get the touchpad tab like your 2nd laptop.
You should be able to compare the driver versions and then get just the driver you need off the Dell Support site.

I'd go for just the one driver you need off the website instead of trying to use the CD with might be out of date.
If there are no Win7 drivers try the Vista version (32bit or 64bit depending on which ver of Win7 you have installed)
It's a hardware device and not a feature of Windows 7.
Go into your Control Panel and look under Hardware and then Devices and Printers section.
Choose the Mouse device if you don't see a seperate listing for a Touchpad and open Properties (right mouse click).
In the Hardware tab select the Touchpad and use the Properties button
In the new window find the touchpad use the Devices tab and then the Disable button.

maree72

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

There isn't one. It only shows the mouse and I have clicked every button trying to find where this option could possibly be. Thank you anyway/

maree72

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Dell Latitude D620 That I believe had originally come with Vista on it or XP then upgraded by my IT department to Win7. It is one of my testing machines and the odd thing is I have another Laptop that is the exact same model with the touchpad tab and option that I am inquiring about in the location you suggested in your first response to me.
Do I need to reinstall the utillity drivers disk that came with the machine?

Good chance that Win7 is using a generic mouse driver. So installing the correct Dell driver should get the touchpad tab like your 2nd laptop.
You should be able to compare the driver versions and then get just the driver you need off the Dell Support site.

I'd go for just the one driver you need off the website instead of trying to use the CD with might be out of date.
If there are no Win7 drivers try the Vista version (32bit or 64bit depending on which ver of Win7 you have installed)

Solution

maree72

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Brilliant thinking. I am all about doing things in the simplest and most probable means, so I am more than happy to say your advice has been excellent. This is the only known forum in my world that has been beneficial and helpful in the entire land of technology. Thank you so much.