tv audio input and output

kdotpoint

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
goodday..so recently we've bought a new smart samsung tv and my friend wants to use his speaker instead of the normal tv speakers...the speaker had 3.5mm jack but the tv doesnt have any 3.5mm jack input so he bought an rca to 3.5mm jack adapter but I've already tried to do everything but there's no sound output on the speaker..pls help

Solution
If the adapter was active, as it needs to convert analog signal to digital signal. The adapter will not look like a cable with a 3.5mm port on one end, and an optical on the other, instead it will look like a box, with the corresponding ports in it.

llamington

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
The RCA Cables may be plugged in the wrong place, like in the RCA input plug. You're going to want to plug the red and white RCA plugs into a plug labeled output instead of input, then configure for external speakers in the settings

kdotpoint

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

looked at the label..it only says audio in for rca cables L and R tried putting red and white rca cables but no sound...theres also a videio rca input with red and white rca but its not also working...and for optical it says output...

kdotpoint

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

tv speaker and audio output

but if I put the speaker on the tv decoder its working with the rca cables..

llamington

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
The TV may not support RCA audio output then, as it would have been much easier to configure. If your friend's speaker only supports 3.5mm input then the only option would be purchasing an active adapter to convert the Analog signal from the RCA or 3.5mm to a digital signal such as HDMI.

kdotpoint

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

would an optical audio adapter to 3.5mm work?

llamington

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
If the adapter was active, as it needs to convert analog signal to digital signal. The adapter will not look like a cable with a 3.5mm port on one end, and an optical on the other, instead it will look like a box, with the corresponding ports in it.

Solution

kdotpoint

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

thanks for the help..I'll keep this one in mind..