TV Sound bar into Surround Sound?

sonicking157

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015
I currently own a 2.1 soundbar and I was wondering if I bought a receiver and a few more speakers could I upgrade it to 5.1 or will there by issues with how the soundbar will react with the receiver. If that's not possible I would love suggestions to reasonably priced speakers and a receiver. Alternatively I'm also interested in getting a set of floor speakers if they would be better.

Solution
There is always something better. It all depends on the money that you want to spend.

I looked around on the internet and Amazon has listed the Pioneer HTP-074 as their best seller at 61% it is going for $299 US. The closest competitor is the Yamaha YHT-3920UBL 5.1-Channel Home Theater in a Box System with Bluetooth at 60% and that is listed $430 US on Amazon also.

At those prices that is a good entry level system to spring board from. A high end entry level A/V Receiver alone costs that much combined or more. And you are getting a A/V Receiver and a 5.1 speaker set. You can always upgrade the speaker set at a later time as you grow with it.

Search on "home theater in a box" and do a lot of research. But at your budget, those I...

ikon21_21

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Depends. You will need to figure out if the sound bar is passive or active.
Passive sound bars include one or several speakers for each of the front channels (i.e., left, center and right). In the back of the speaker is a connection for each channel, which you need to attach to an amplifier or receiver. Simply because they have no built-in power amps. So, while passive speakers may be cheaper than active sound bars, they require a surround receiver to even produce front-channel results.
Active sound bars have the same configuration as passive sound bars, but they include built-in amplifiers and surround sound processors to separate the center channel sound. This makes active sound bars more expensive than passive sound bars, but the advantage is that you don't need a bulky external amplifier to produce basic front channel sounds.
Active sound bars should be connected directly to your TV and/or sources. Passive sound bars can be used to replace the front 3 speakers in a HT setup.
A sound bar is designed to create the illusion of surround sound. It is not an enhanced center channel speaker. If you try to combine it with other speakers, you will only skew the sound quality - especially if you try to pair it with a different brand of speakers.
Since you were planning to purchase a receiver and some additional speakers. I would just buy a matching set and get rid of the old 2.1 system it will be cheaper and sound better.
Now your options will all depend on what your budget is or what you can afford. I am privy to Pioneer A/V Receivers and Polk discrete speakers. Everyone will tell you their system is better than others. It is all subjective. All you can do is research and try them out with your ears. Bring your own audio too, as most outfits will have something more enhanced than usual to make the sound better to cater the sell.
Practically, all speaker manufacturers make some 5.1 speaker package set. Look at these links, they will get you started. I am sure there are a myriad of other sites too.
https://www.soundandvision.com/
http://hometheaterreview.com/

Soundbars are cheap man "receivers" - limited to stereo only, with optional "subwoofer", limited connectivity, made cheap but shiny. Not made to be integrated with anything but smartphones and TVs.

An AV (audio-video) receiver is usually surround by design (5+1, 7+1 etc), designed for connection of passive speakers. It has many audio and video inputs, variety of sound modes, etc.

You might use your soundbar (if it has required input) as powered Zone2 output on some receivers.

ikon21_21

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
I did just a quick search on Pioneers website and I found this full system.

HTP-074
5.1-Channel Home Theater Package
100 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7 %, 1ch Driven) AV Receiver
Built-in Bluetooth® Wireless Technology
Ultra HD Pass-through with HDCP 2.2 (4K/60p/4:4:4)
5 compact (150 W) speakers and a subwoofer (100 W)

Suggested Price $399.99

sonicking157

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015

Thank you for your reply! It was very informative. My budget is 3-500 and I know someone suggested this set:
HTP-074
5.1-Channel Home Theater Package

I'm not sure if it's the best for the price range maybe you can clarify if it is, or if there is something better?

ikon21_21

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
There is always something better. It all depends on the money that you want to spend.

I looked around on the internet and Amazon has listed the Pioneer HTP-074 as their best seller at 61% it is going for $299 US. The closest competitor is the Yamaha YHT-3920UBL 5.1-Channel Home Theater in a Box System with Bluetooth at 60% and that is listed $430 US on Amazon also.

At those prices that is a good entry level system to spring board from. A high end entry level A/V Receiver alone costs that much combined or more. And you are getting a A/V Receiver and a 5.1 speaker set. You can always upgrade the speaker set at a later time as you grow with it.

Search on "home theater in a box" and do a lot of research. But at your budget, those I feel would be best suited for you.

I had another thought if those items do not get your home theater juices flowing... Look at Polk's T-Series. If you can open your budget, this T-Series speaker set will be a few steps above those that I suggested. This is their entry level HT speaker set. The total cost on their website is $520 US. That fills out your current budget. Then open your budget to purchase a A/V Receiver of your choice.

https://www.polkaudio.com/collections/home-audio/t-series

Solution

sonicking157

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015

Thank you so much! You've been very helpful.