TV sound with Soundbar supplemented by bookshelf speakers?

Dec 29, 2018
I used to have an older Vizio TV to which I attached an even older JVC UX-7000 mini system with 2 small bookshelf speakers. I liked placing the speakers on either side of the couch near me, so I could listen to my TV in my apartment in the evening without having to fill the room with sound (and disturb neighbors).

I now have a LG SmartTV 43UJ6200, and the minisystem was no longer compatible, so I bought an inexpensive TaoTronic TT SK017 soundbar. Problem is, I just can’t hear it well from across the room unless I turn it way up (which I’m trying to avoid), and I really prefer having speakers close to where I sit. I don’t mind going to Craigslist to fill my need.
Do I need to get a separate receiver, or would the minisystem speakers be overpowered by it? Would I need to buy new bookshelf speakers? Does the soundbar still function with this setup? Or would a used surround sound system work here, or does that just end up pumping sound into the room again?
Thank you for your advice!

Solution

According to the pics, your TV has a single Optical digital audio output and that's it, no other audio out and that cable am assuming is hooked up to your SB. The JVC has 2 (AUX and TAPE) analog inputs, u can use either.

So simple enough, to take a Digital Output and feed it to Analog input, u need a gadget like THIS.

If you are willing to plug in one thing at a time, you are done.

If you are not willing to do that or wish to have 2 things functioning at the same time you should be able to buy another gadget, a Toslink Splitter. Should because I never used one but theoretically it should work.

Supahos

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Toslink-Mini-Digital-feet/dp/B07DTJ861V/ref=asc_df_B07DTJ861V/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309818644684&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7803872088615347300&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025835&hvtargid=pla-593952732932&psc=1

Note: I've never tried this specifically... But I believe you could hook into the tv with this and still go into the aux port on your old system... If that's how your sound bar is hooked up you're likely sunk...

Dec 29, 2018
I had a Geek-Squad-like tech service come out to help me out when I couldn’t get the minisystem to work with the tv and he told me the inputs just weren’t there. It only had an output vs an input for audio (or the other way around). He advised a soundbar, but It’s just not as effective for me as close speakers.

The fact that the JCV works with your old TV means it has *some kind* of input, so I don't know what the Geek guy is talking about. He probably wants to sell u a new speaker.

This will be extremely easy to figure out if you can post 2 clear pictures of the back of the JVC as well as the TV, where the connectors are.

Dec 29, 2018

Dec 29, 2018
Well, I’ve tried so many things, I’ve lost track. Only a few bucks to try one more! But I’d have to choose speakers over the soundbar, and not have both. Only one optical out of the tv.

Dec 29, 2018

Supahos

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

According to the pics, your TV has a single Optical digital audio output and that's it, no other audio out and that cable am assuming is hooked up to your SB. The JVC has 2 (AUX and TAPE) analog inputs, u can use either.

So simple enough, to take a Digital Output and feed it to Analog input, u need a gadget like THIS.

If you are willing to plug in one thing at a time, you are done.

If you are not willing to do that or wish to have 2 things functioning at the same time you should be able to buy another gadget, a Toslink Splitter. Should because I never used one but theoretically it should work.

Solution
Dec 29, 2018
Thanks to you both. The digital to analog converter allowed the minisystem speakers to work as TV speakers, and now I’ll get the toslink splitter to let the soundbar join with them. Maureen