tv to stereo sound

Ogud

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Matt - Id like to listen to my tv through myu stereo
there are two spare jack plugs that say video - If i connect those using RCA leads - to the audio rca ports on the back of the TV - then switch the amp to the video setting shouldnt the sound from the TV play through the stereo speakers - (I have some pretty awesome castle harlechs - plus the surround sound speakers ) - however it doesnt seem to want to work - my guess is that the jack plugs on the tv are for sound in not out - have you any idea how i can solve this?
There is also a headphone jack on the front of the stereo - but id rather not have to plug it into the front using a larger stereo jack plug and a cable splitter as i think it'll look pretty naff = also if the tv rca jack plugs are sound in not out it won't work anyway?
The back of the stereo amp hzs got the video rca slots as the only empty ones anyway - all the rest are used up with dvd/phono/casette.(its a tuner amp so theres no tuner rca slots anyway)
Id just like to hear the tv through the stereo speakers and im sure there must be a way to do it
Thanks fella
Doug