twenty years behind technology, need help updating home theater.

Dzsprocket

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
I have just ordered my first ever flat screen tv, blue ray player and a sound bar and I am not sure what I will need to hook them up to my stereo receiver. The TV is a Samsung model UN65JU7500 FXA, the blue ray is a Samsung BD-H6500 and the sound bar is a Samsung HW - J550. I would like to hook them up to my rather old but trusty Pioneer model VSX-402 stereo receiver with only AV inputs so I can use my Bose speakers. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, Thanks in advance, Dan.

Oops, I would also like to hook up the Nintendo Wii for the kids..

Solution
You bought stuff before you knew you can hook them up together?

Soundbars don't work well with receivers, they are typically designed to be hooked up directly to the TV, so that's a waste of your receiver. If you are doing this, then the TV is your "switcher" hope you got enough HDMI/Component inputs for all your sources. And THEN, not all TV can "pass thru" surround information, say from an attached BluRay Player ---> TV ---> Soundbar. If you are happy to keep things stereo, OK.
You bought stuff before you knew you can hook them up together?

Soundbars don't work well with receivers, they are typically designed to be hooked up directly to the TV, so that's a waste of your receiver. If you are doing this, then the TV is your "switcher" hope you got enough HDMI/Component inputs for all your sources. And THEN, not all TV can "pass thru" surround information, say from an attached BluRay Player ---> TV ---> Soundbar. If you are happy to keep things stereo, OK.

Solution