Twitter Leak Shows Redesigned Wii U Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
This is oddly the least excited I have been about a console since the Game Cube. Different is sometimes a good thing, but with the Wii all that we have found is that Nintendo does things so different that developers are not willing to learn something new.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hopefully Nintendo will be able to recover from this one. Honestly, this just seems like a terrible idea. Who the hell wants to have yet another "tablet" around the house?

All the "casuals" that the Wii appealed to already have one - I can't see this thing doing anything for that crowd, which is the ONLY reason the wii was so successful.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
this is a bad gaming controller design i mean it basicly looks like a tablet with controls on the end of it. If people complained about hoe big the original xbox controller was wait until they get a load of this thing.

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
looks like a bad handheld console, why is a screen even needed for a controller? The game is on the TV or monitor, doesn't look ergonomic at all.

danhitchcock

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
This thing looks horrible. I loved the gamecube controller, but I don't see how I can play games like smash brothers with this thing...

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
This isn't the Wii-U's main controller. This is just an add-on controller. Main controllers are still gonna be your Wii Controllers.

G

@fracture

You know this how? Everyone knows the Wii U Pad will be the main controller and it will also use wiimotes.

The GameCube/Classic Controller weren't the Wii's main controllers

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]fightingslu[/nom]i have big hands and most controllers do feel a little cramped- but this thing looks really awkward to game with[/citation]

from what i heard, it looks like it will feel like crap, but it feels really good in your hands, and that was the pre redesign version.

[citation][nom]phishy714[/nom]Hopefully Nintendo will be able to recover from this one. Honestly, this just seems like a terrible idea. Who the hell wants to have yet another "tablet" around the house?All the "casuals" that the Wii appealed to already have one - I can't see this thing doing anything for that crowd, which is the ONLY reason the wii was so successful.[/citation]

you want to put a 600$ device in the hands of your kids?
if they have a reall app market, as in the angrybirds and such, and i these controllers only cost 70$ (its estamated between 50-130$, depending on if nintendo wants to make a profit or will settle for break even)

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]this is a bad gaming controller design i mean it basicly looks like a tablet with controls on the end of it. If people complained about hoe big the original xbox controller was wait until they get a load of this thing.[/citation]

i dont have giant hands, but i thought the original controller was easily the best one they made, i mean the palm of my hands ins almost bigger than the current dual shock 3.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]from what i heard, it looks like it will feel like crap, but it feels really good in your hands[/citation]

I heard that too, but I'm skeptical as to how that beast could possibly be comfortable. Nintendo seems to be on a path of taking whatever random suggestion someone in the board room makes. "Hey guys, you know what would be cool, a tablet for a controller!"

Yeah, I can see lots of uses. Nintendo already has experience developing games for this kind of control. This is mostly like the bottom half of a DS, but larger. But developers don't like having to be creative with controls. They want something they can apply to XBox and PS so they can do simple ports. Nintendo only plans for their 1st and 2nd party games, but if they ever want to go back to pre n64 days they need to get 3rd party support back.

It's not a bad idea...but does the system really need to be focused around it? Couldn't they just release the system with a normal controller and put the tablet device out later? Give me standard controls for 3rd party games first and I'll play with your goofy devices later Nintendo.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]I heard that too, but I'm skeptical as to how that beast could possibly be comfortable. Nintendo seems to be on a path of taking whatever random suggestion someone in the board room makes. "Hey guys, you know what would be cool, a tablet for a controller!"Yeah, I can see lots of uses. Nintendo already has experience developing games for this kind of control. This is mostly like the bottom half of a DS, but larger. But developers don't like having to be creative with controls. They want something they can apply to XBox and PS so they can do simple ports. Nintendo only plans for their 1st and 2nd party games, but if they ever want to go back to pre n64 days they need to get 3rd party support back.It's not a bad idea...but does the system really need to be focused around it? Couldn't they just release the system with a normal controller and put the tablet device out later? Give me standard controls for 3rd party games first and I'll play with your goofy devices later Nintendo.[/citation]

if it isnt with the system at launch, its almost destined to fail.
nintendo has SO much experiance in that area it isnt even funny.

the reason it feels good is because its so light weight.
the only person who would fint this uncomfortable would be my little brother, as he puts his whole palm on the controller, and uses both analouge sticks with one hand... weird i know, but he does good at games.

and with third parties just wanting to port, that is true... but look at most of the best games on consoles, they are exclusives, you cant tell me that a 3rd party cant also be exclusive, and because the "hardcore" games will be coming to the nintendo system, and it will have the best graphics currently available, i can see the system becoming the lead platform. meaning that even if its just a wiiu exclusive hud, it will be there on the system, with the 360 and ps3 as after thoughts.

imagine the pit boy as an always on menu, or the water temple of oot, you can see minor hud changes that would make the whole game a better experience, things that would be so minor studios would implement them even if the wiiu isnt lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.