U.S. Aims To Declare Cyber Attacks as Acts of War

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickmana

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
If another government is responsible, I would consider it an act of war. But if an individual or group of hackers is responsible, I would consider it an act of terrorism.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Wasn't there some controversy surrounding the source of the attacks on Iran's nuclear program? Couldn't have come at a better time for some Whitehouse interests, I guess. Paves the way for future legislation.

Put simply, and with all due respect. Before firing one single missile and potentially adding to the millions thus far caught in the cross-fire, establish who the enemy actually is, and whether they're actually guilty. Because to be honest, this is bloody war-mongering to me. If there were a credible, serious hacking threat then wouldn't logic suggest it would have been done already? Further, if you are going to bomb somebody to hell, over a premise, then I damn well hope it has the backing of the American people, including unanimous support within congress.

This government obviously likes to talk about security..look at lack of security on it's own borders. Why the HELL are they lecturing others about threats from faces (and now terminals) afar, when right under their own nose their own noses they have a well-documented problem, that each successive administration has so far seemingly failed to deal with in an effective and fair manner? The US/Mexican border situation is an epic sham. But hey, why should there be solutions when there's plenty of money to be made oiling the cogs of the corporate/military complex...

Footnote: This is my opinion. I do not support terrorism, I support free speach and peaceful resolution. Even if it isn't profitable.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]quickmana[/nom]If another government is responsible, I would consider it an act of war. But if an individual or group of hackers is responsible, I would consider it an act of terrorism.[/citation]

Do you even know what terrorism is? There is nothing violent or intimidating about hacking and cybercrime, even if forcing political change.

A criminal action yes, and should be treated accordingly. But hardly terrorism.

G

"If you shut down our power grid, maybe we will put a missile down one of your smokestacks,"

Thats how we do it in America! USA USA USA

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
we have gone far enough...we have killed so many innocent people based on so called intel...we will kill many more....what does this solve?....absolutely nothing

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
So when Black Lotus transfers US property to Chinese ownership using only her laptop and Chinese hackers are stealing money by hacking for military spending... shouldn't blast them with a satellite particle beam?

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]Do you even know what terrorism is? There is nothing violent or intimidating about hacking and cybercrime, even if forcing political change.A criminal action yes, and should be treated accordingly. But hardly terrorism.[/citation]

it is terrorism if you take down vital servers and steal personnel information. stop blindly sticking up for those losers

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
this is stupid on so many levels...
I can foresee a moron yelling "we've been hacked", and triggering a military action somewhere (where it suits him), then after a while when it turns out there was not such a thing, getting away with an "oops, sorry, I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del by mistake".
Hacking is not exactly an act of war and hardly ever killed people. Even when pushed to the extreme and affecting the well-being of some individuals, it's still orders of magnitude less lethal than war (cue all the collateral casualties in the ongoing wars).
power outages? there are plenty in rural US everywhere, every drop of rain seems to cause one. How about putting all that money in infrastructure, instead of "intelligent" missiles?

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]Do you even know what terrorism is? There is nothing violent or intimidating about hacking and cybercrime, even if forcing political change.A criminal action yes, and should be treated accordingly. But hardly terrorism.[/citation]
Let's say that you are in the hospital undergoing some sort of abdominal surgery and someone crashes the hospital network ...

Let's say you are coming in for a landing at a major airport and someone crashes the ATC system ...

Let's say ...

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]quickmana[/nom]If another government is responsible, I would consider it an act of war. But if an individual or group of hackers is responsible, I would consider it an act of terrorism.[/citation]
I would call the penthagon's formal strategy and act of World Despotism.

Status
Not open for further replies.