U.S. Teens Ingoring Texting-While-Driving Law

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You sheeple make me sick. I'd rather take my chances with the txters than live in a nanny state.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Not all teenagers are mindless idiots, else surely the scale of the problem would be a much wider one. Rather, I think it's a more general problem and whilst we're focusing on this let's also not forget the problem of undocumented drivers including those who enter the country illegally; what's the police stance on even stopping those people.

Me personally, I don't phone or text..the device does not get used unless in case of emergency and if I have to use it? I wait then stop in a relatively safe place, or get someone else to read it. The same kind of thing happens in the UK, and is made especially worse by speed and sheer volume of traffic. I think the examples quoted - be they from Reuters or a third party, are extreme cases and those most people do have enough common sense to realise they're behind the wheel of a machine that can kill in the blink of an eye, be it the driver or passanger, or other road users.

G

How will a cop know the difference if I am holding my phone up to text versus using the built in GPS to find an address? I used my Blackberry a lot to GPS and address where I was going and would hold the phone up while I was driving to see where my next turn was coming up, (in map view). This should be interesting...

banthracis

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]jitpublisher[/nom]Yes, seat belts should have been a personal choice, not a law. No one is arguing that seat belts do not save lives, but IT SHOULD BE MY CHOICE if I want to wear one or not. Me not wearing a seat belt poses no danger to anyone else but me. [/citation]

You forget that every time someone gets seriously injured or killed as a result of not wearing a seat belt, it increases the statistical danger of driving. Enough of these and car insurance companies will raise premiums as insuring drivers becomes a riskier business.

No action is w/o consequence, and just because you can't think of the potential consequences, doesn't mean they don't exist.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Here is a question to ponder.

If all the studies about texting while driving show that response is as bad if not worse than driving while drunk then why not impose a law that is just as hard for texting while driving?

I am being told that a completely sober person behind the wheel with a fucking iphone has a greater chance of slamming into someone and killing them than if they were drunk and without a phone. Why are we not seeing people arrested for texting?

What you have here is a double standard. On one had we are told not to drink and drive. It impairs your ability to make sudden decisions behind the wheel of a car and you are more likely to crash and die and take people with you if you are drunk. Hard laws were created to drive the point home by saying if you are caught drunk behind the wheel then you are arrested.

EVERY single study shows texting is worse than being drunk. Under this belief then why are texters not being punished by at least arrest? If DUI is bad enough to cause an arrest then why is something that is worse than DUI not an arrest?

If you shoot someone with your eyes open then you are charged with murder...if you shoot and kill them but your eyes were closed then its a lesser charge???? Would this be logical?

Drunk or texting. The facts say that odds are equal that you are the most likely person to kill another human being if you get behind the wheel of a car while doing so.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I hope natural selection works on these kids. I'm a teenager myself but I would never dream of putting my life on the line just to text. I just hope that the natural selection process doesn't endanger other people.[/citation]

It's usually the other way around, usually the victim dies and the offender lives with maybe 10-20 years and a slap on the wrist.

G

instant confiscation of the cell phone, can check the time/date stamp of the last txt and then make the fine SOOOO big that it will make both the teen and Mommy and Daddy cringe...
also have to show ID to purchase a txt plan and can have it flagged to not allow if prior convictions...
when the fines are so big that they hurt, then people will pay attention... maybe even points off of license so it will affect and raise insurance rates...

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Now we have to decide if it's worth the extra gas money to drive a full size truck or suv to be a little safer from these stupid teens. If a car hits my older F-150 I drive to work and back, I'll most likely walk away from it....them, maybe not. Can't say the same for my car though. I'd hate to be paralyzed or worse just because some teen had to text thier friend while driving down the road and hit me in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.