Ubisoft Accused of Re-Selling Torrented Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I have to say if the crack is released by the company with the rights to the game does that not render the crack legal?

And I would guess that they had to pay a lot of money for the rights to use a song, Which perhaps the production company gave them a worse quality copy than was available via torrent, Once they had paid for the rights to use the song then using a copy downloaded off the internet was no longer breach of copyright.

G

I think Best Buy is selling torrented music on Napster. Check the file properties after recording a track.

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
[citation][nom]lucky015[/nom]I have to say if the crack is released by the company with the rights to the game does that not render the crack legal?[/citation]

While Ubisoft is free to release a no cd patch of their own which is legal as they are the content and copyright owners releasing someone else's work as your own is illegal, so no, the Ubisoft crack is illegal and theft of intellectual property of the creator of the crack as well as profiting from someone else's work etc.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I thought there was another one, a company (can't remember which) re released their game on Steam and instead of writing the no-cd code, they totally ripped I want to say it was RAW's crack. Though I have been saying it forever now, if you can't beat them, make them work for you without pay ;)

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]BWMerlin[/nom]While Ubisoft is free to release a no cd patch of their own which is legal as they are the content and copyright owners releasing someone else's work as your own is illegal, so no, the Ubisoft crack is illegal and theft of intellectual property of the creator of the crack as well as profiting from someone else's work etc.[/citation]
Not only that, but you're also screwing any programmers you have working for you that would get paid to fix that kind of thing :)

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
[citation][nom]AMD_pitbull[/nom]Not only that, but you're also screwing any programmers you have working for you that would get paid to fix that kind of thing[/citation]

Wait are we all saying it's bad for a company to pirate and ok for us consumers 0_o Kinda seems a reverse of positions from what is normally posted in the comments section. Personally I own several games that require me to register with steam and then demand that I put the CD/DVD into the drive every time I want to play the game I brought, registered, activated and signed a contact in blood with them to be able to play.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Ironic that the most outspoken anti-piracy publisher, who are known for the most invasive and restrictive of DRM, would turn to piracy to save themselves a little work and/or programmer wage.
Stuff like this makes me really hate ubisoft. they should be forced to pay the pirates a percentage of the game royalties. teach them a thing or two.

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I reckon they call the whole thing "Even Stevens" and each side say to the other "I see what you did there" and walk away.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]...That's as stupid as me eating my own sandwich and handing myself into the Police for theft.[/citation]

It's more like you making a sandwich, someone stealing it and putting it in their own cling film (I'm not sure how much effort was required for the crack thing, I assume that when compared to the effort for making the games it was comparable value as cling film is to a sandwich, rather than being like a nice sandwich box compared to a sandwich) and then you taking the sandwich back, still in its cling film. Taking the cling film is wrong, but somewhat less so than taking the sandwich. Yes I know that breaching intangible rights is not directly comparable with theft of tangible things, before anyone starts on that.

BWMerlin - you seem to be overlooking the comparative values of what was copied; other than that, yes fair point. As it is, the 'loss of income' for the writer of the crack should be more than amply covered by the damage they caused / aided in the first place.

Actually - has anyone checked in the EULA to see if the publisher retains all rights to any modifications made to the software? If that's the case then it wouldn't actually be illegal to use the work as their own - stupid to do, but not illegal.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]swamprat[/nom]It's more like you making a sandwich, someone stealing it and putting it in their own cling film (I'm not sure how much effort was required for the crack thing, I assume that when compared to the effort for making the games it was comparable value as cling film is to a sandwich, rather than being like a nice sandwich box compared to a sandwich) and then you taking the sandwich back, still in its cling film. Taking the cling film is wrong, but somewhat less so than taking the sandwich. Yes I know that breaching intangible rights is not directly comparable with theft of tangible things, before anyone starts on that.BWMerlin - you seem to be overlooking the comparative values of what was copied; other than that, yes fair point. As it is, the 'loss of income' for the writer of the crack should be more than amply covered by the damage they caused / aided in the first place.Actually - has anyone checked in the EULA to see if the publisher retains all rights to any modifications made to the software? If that's the case then it wouldn't actually be illegal to use the work as their own - stupid to do, but not illegal.[/citation]
Well, I didn't mention the NoCD crack, I mentioned the music only.

So let's have a more relevant comparison.

It's as ridiculous as Paul McCartney being charged with theft for downloading the White Album.
His, he wrote it, he owns the rights to it, probably still has the master disk in a frame in his living room - doesn't matter if it got uploaded to a torrent site or not he can do with it what the hell he pleases.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]BWMerlin[/nom]Wait are we all saying it's bad for a company to pirate and ok for us consumers 0_o Kinda seems a reverse of positions from what is normally posted in the comments section. Personally I own several games that require me to register with steam and then demand that I put the CD/DVD into the drive every time I want to play the game I brought, registered, activated and signed a contact in blood with them to be able to play.[/citation]
Why are you quoting me for a comment like that? I don't pirate...if I like something I buy it, if I don't, I don't play it. Simple enough. I'm into IT/programming. I know how much work goes into these games. I'd rather feel appreciated for my work.

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
This is nothing short of ironic. But the thing to remember is that most times, 99% at least, the biggest supporters of DRM and other similar technologies are the biggest pirates of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.