UD crashes on W2K

PoolSnoopy

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2001
Hi folks,

I'm glad that I heard about the UD-prog here but unfortunately it crashes on one of my computers.
Hardware:
Duron 800
512 MB RAM
Asus A7V-M with VIA KT133 (that is VT8363 + VT82C686A)
using a cable modem on a 3Com EtherLink XL PCI TPO NIC (3C900B-TPO)

I'm getting a IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL Error in ntoskrnl.exe
Has someone else expirienced such troubles and found a solution?
thx a lot in advance

PS: BTW, that was my first blue screen on this system. Not even the sh**tiest game crashed it. Therefore I'm quite surprised. :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PoolSnoopy on 12/14/01 05:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I've got the latest version running on 4 Win2K Server w/SP2, without any problemas. Have you looked into Via's 4 in 1 drivers and maybe the latest version of UD?

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
Hey poolsnoopy, I have had that problem. But it usually occurs when my system is overclocked and then I run UD and it loads the CPU down enough so that win2k crashes.(pardon the run on)

Sounds like you dont have enough voltage getting to the CPU to support maximum load. You can verify to see if this is the problem by running a different Distributed computing program or a CPU burn-in test. W2k and XP are particularly finicky about making sure you have enough voltage. I was only able to get my asus a7v to boot in w2k past the ntoskernel (higher than 864 mhz (its a 750 stock) crash after installing the latest bios update.

Also, what kind of memory did you get? namebrand or cheapo? that usually can crash my system after it finishes booting up, but it has a different errror message.

--DarkPhire(United Devices team : AMDZONE.com; Member name : The Collective)

PoolSnoopy

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2001
Thnx a lot for your responses.

It's working fine now. I reduced speed to 720 MHz and now it's running fine. Maybe it was just a matter of temperature, because if I can trust the BIOS the CPU was on 65 Celsius. I have a real bullsh*t cooler. Should get another one.
But all in all I'm analyzing molecules now. :)))

G

Well 65C is a tad too high! Any wonder your crashing.
Best around 40-50C or lower.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
Hmm, i dont know about that. I am running an AthlonXP at 67 C as we speak. It doesnt seem to become unstable untill around 72-75C. AMD doesn't say that your CPU is in danger of shortening its life untill around 70-80C. This claim is somewhat substantiated by the fact that I ran my AthlonXP at about 93 C for just under 45 seconds. It still works fine, although I was very probably lucky. I would say 65C is enough to shorten its life by a few years, but not too large of a problem. I ran my t-bird 750 at 66 C for a very long time before I was able to buy a larger heatsink fan. That CPU still works beautifully today, overclockable to 917 mhz.

On the flipside, however, better cooling can never hurt :) unless you get a really loud one. As we speak my new volcano 7 is in the mail so :) its all good.

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
Follow up:: it could be the memory which is why downclocking it makes it more stable, could also be the voltage, try and increase the voltage to the CPU, (that will inherently also increase temperature however).

G

My lil' 1.4T'bird locks up at 65c. Could be north bridge related, oh well. Thats another story in another forum.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

TRENDING THREADS