UK Outfit Demands ISPs Pay For Pirates' Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I think the courts have precedence on this matter when the liberals tried to sue gun manufacturers for what criminals did with their weapons. It is pointless and they will most likely lose (again).

G

*Post edited by moderator* The giving of advice on how to pirate or steal digital content on the site is prohibited.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Why is it that the counter arguments against the Industry are always so much more sensible? Like seriously, a better business model... who would've thought? But that's so uncapitalistic says the Industry...

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
The rep also said that it's not up to the company to dictate to paying customers on how to control their piracy tendencies. In fact, it was recommended that both the music and film industry develop a new business model that encourages consumers to legally acquire and purchase content.
Looks like someone over there actually understands the reality of piracy.

G

The ISPs should charge music industry for transportation of there music for them sens they still own it. That sounds just as reasonable!

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Makes me so want to move to the UK where you pay the Govt half of everything you make, yes 50%. Sort of like what Obama wants to do here...now back to downloading movies, music,..[/citation]

nothing like that for most people. Unless you're counting in VAT, Fuel Duty etc as well. Actual Income tax plus national insurance is certainly not 50%, I should know. I'm already on higher rate tax, and that doesn't swallow 50% of my wage!

kranose

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Are any of you actually reading the article or just the title? This isn't happening.. it's the music industry moaning to try and get somebody to pay them money for piracy. The UK government isn't even considering making ISP's pay, they wouldn't be allowed to even if they were.
As to 50% tax.. dunno what country you're thinking of.. but it ain't this one though.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
It takes quite expensive and powerfull computer system just for monitoring amount of data transfer for 10k users. Monitoring what traffic and where it go require dozens time more performance. Now apply it for millions of users on each ISP and you get idea that it would be too much even for supercomputer.
And that not talking about storage, privacy and security issues. Most companies and users with dump ISP on spot if they try access their private data.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Im in the uk, I would certainly say 50% isnt that big an over estimation...

For a starters if you earn over 150k a year you pay 50% straight up in income tax...

Even for average earners (take a 25k figure) you are looking at 20% basic rate, a further 17.5% vat (soon to raise) on most of your spend, you are looking at council taxes most likely around £1300+ a further 5%, you are probably going to be spending a further £2000 a year on petrol close to £1000 (4% of annual income)of which is fuel duty (VAT is extra on top of that). already its getting perilously close to 50% of your money going to the government, take into account the extra that transport taxation costs add to the price of goods you pay, the affects of corporation taxes, business rates etc adding to the price of goods you pay, It all adds up fast its all money transferring from the tax payer to the government...

UK Gross domestic product for 2009 was somewhere around 2 trillion. Treasury receipts around 878 billion. Not a million miles of 50% at all, BUT thats only central government that doesnt include local council taxes, rates, charges etc etc. Thats a further 45 billion approximately. Taking us to 923 billion, really not so far off that 50% of GDP...

Take into account that business's only pay tax on profits, and profit levels have been down across the board for a few years. A company treading water to survive is skewing the gdp \ tax receipts ratio in favour of the GDP.

SRRAE

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This will never happen, you dont charge car manufactures for every car crash or speeding ticket. So why charge ISP for what their customers do?

elbert

Distinguished
Music industry should pay compensation to the ISPs for all ads over there network and any music the ISPs customers buy. Whats far should apply both ways. Simply put music ads and legally purchased music over ISPs networks out weighs pirates. The music company's are making money due to the ISPs and simply aren't satisfied.

udg

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Just a thought but the ISP's could counter-sue as the Music/Film industry because they are not putting proper protection on their Films/Music therefore it is ending up on the Net and the ISP's are wasting Bandwidth.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Makes me so want to move to the UK where you pay the Govt half of everything you make, yes 50%. Sort of like what Obama wants to do here...now back to downloading movies, music,..[/citation]
Shut the **** up and stop pushing your agenda designed to confuse and brainwash the sub-intellect population.

The UK does not have 50% tax. The UK also has hugely subsidised healthcare, and a LOT of other perks for a majority of the population (those earning the least, the majority). Honestly, we still live like kings here. Except for petrol costs, that has gotten a bit out of hand...

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
"nothing like that for most people. Unless you're counting in VAT, Fuel Duty etc as well. Actual Income tax plus national insurance is certainly not 50%, I should know. I'm already on higher rate tax, and that doesn't swallow 50% of my wage!"

Not yet. It's getting closer and closer. Where do you think this money is coming from -- trees??

brianfulcher15

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
This will never work, the isps should not be monitering our traffic, the music industry should put encryption on the media to prevent theft of their goods. The only ones who should pay for pirateing movies and music is the ones who steal them to keep. The torrent host is not responsible, and the ISP is not either.

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]Shut the **** up and stop pushing your agenda designed to confuse and brainwash the sub-intellect population.The UK does not have 50% tax. The UK also has hugely subsidised healthcare, and a LOT of other perks for a majority of the population (those earning the least, the majority). Honestly, we still live like kings here. Except for petrol costs, that has gotten a bit out of hand...[/citation]

As a guy above you already pointed out with actual numbers, it is close to 50%. Not to mention your country is soon to go bankrupt because of the overly high cost of all those "perks" as you call them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS